View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
TrailTamer

Name: TrailTamer
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Persisting Hard Cold Start, Hazing and High Blow By

Hi y'all. I'm nearing at end of my wits and don't want to start "throwing parts at it unit it's fixed"....

My truck in question is in my signature with mod details.

I have hard cold start and what seem like excess blow by and hazing while accelerating or going uphill.

1) Cold Start
After sitting for a while, like overnight at minimum, longer cranking than normal even with some throttle and >70*F ambient temp. Usually maybe 3-5 seconds worth of cranking. It will make noticeable shake like one cylinder start to fire, then two shakes like two cylinders fired, then 3, then 4, etc then finally run on its own without the starter, immediately followed with white/gray smoke coming out of tailpipe. Then it immediately clear up and runs perfectly and will restart immediately just fine for rest of the day. The colder temp, the longer cranking and more shaking and white/gray smoke. I manually lift the fuel shut down solenoid to "ON" and prime the lift pump with no difference on how it start. My fuel hoses are clear and there's no visible air bubbles when pumping the lift pump.

2) Hazing
Anytime I accelerate or going uphill there's hazing out of tailpipe, no matter what, even when I stop any pressure to AFC with AFC LIVE (both knobs turned all way shut). Cruising on flat ground it run clean but as soon as I go up a hill or accelerate there's haze, always.

3) Blow By
I am running basically 3 crank case breathers right now. Two dual valve cover crankcase vents and stock tappet cover vent. The main reason I installed two dual valve covers to reduce/stop motor oil loss through blow by. Cold or hot it make enough blow by to make it look like my truck is either on fire or boiling coolant like if it's overheating. Driving empty motor oil loss is relatively minimum but there's noticeable oil loss after towing. I think my oil loss can be nearly eliminated if I block off tappet cover's vent though.

I'm struggling to determine are there one or multiple problems with my 12v Cummins??? I used borescope to look at Pistons when I install 5x14 injectors and they looked fine although my borescope isn't top notch to get good video quality. Even with AFC LIVE it's spooling still suck (I think). my friend said the blow by smell like burnt oil.

At this point I think 3 possible problems;
1) Turbo
Excess blow by from turbo through oil drain and cause poor spooling and hazing? But this don't explain the hard cold start
2) Injection Pump
On its way out? But don't explain the excess blow by? Or could it?
3) bad/worn cylinder(s)/piston(s)/rings
I think this is the most possible problem but not sure how it can cause my hazing and my oil consumption isn't that ridiculous high and there's no blue smoke.

Help??? How, where do I start next to get this diagnosed and fixed?
1997 2500 Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 | NV4500 | D80 w/ TruTrac | D60 w/ 4340 35 spline shafts | Ford knuckles | Yukon Hardcore locking hubs | 1pc Aluminum 1480 joints rear shaft | NP-271D | BHAF | 4" Exhaust | AFC LIVE | Mack Plug | 5x14 145* | 7mm DV | 4KGSK