AEV Ram Snorkel thing-a-ma-jigger.

Blind spot the size of my mother in law!

The pillars on these 3rd gens is bad enough as they were. I almost probably killed someone pulling out of work one day. Looked both ways twice....and never saw them. I lean forward and backwards every time I leave this parking lot now. I bet you couldn't have slide a piece of paper between the front of my truck and a 60 mph vehicle. Scared the schidt out of me.

I wouldn't be opposed to a pod like that on the outside of the fender that had a small scoup on it that grabbed air and forced it inside into the air box. I think it would be cooler air. But that riser/snorkel thing....is hideous.

I wouldn't be opposed to a pod like that on the outside of the fender that had a small scoup on it that grabbed air and forced it inside into the air box. I think it would be cooler air. But that riser/snorkel thing....is hideous.

What would the cooler air prove? Your charge air temps give zero fuks on whether the air entering the compressor is 35c or 25c...

What would the cooler air prove? Your charge air temps give zero fuks on whether the air entering the compressor is 35c or 25c...

I just always figured it would reduce the EGT a tad and help spool time if there was a few PSI in the box from the air being forced in...???...???

I just always figured it would reduce the EGT a tad and help spool time if there was a few PSI in the box from the air being forced in...???...???

wishful thinking lol any change would be so minutely minuscule you would never see/feel it.

I have a temp probe inside my AFE air box. The air in it is always right at 10 deg lower than the AIT temp in the manifold. It seems the engine heats up the box and then the air inside rises quickly once it enters. Just seems like a motor would like cooler air....but like you said...there won't be any seat of pants difference.

wishful thinking lol any change would be so minutely minuscule you would never see/feel it.

I have a temp probe inside my AFE air box. The air in it is always right at 10 deg lower than the AIT temp in the manifold. It seems the engine heats up the box and then the air inside rises quickly once it enters. Just seems like a motor would like cooler air....but like you said...there won't be any seat of pants difference.

I would expect there to be some benefit. Not necessarily several HP or anything like that, but when pulling a grade at speed with a load an EGT reduction, even a slight one can make a difference, and adding just a slight MPG improvement at freeway speeds can mean a big difference over time...

Do you think GM and others pursued ram-air on cars and trucks just for the fun of it??? I'm sure they put a lot of money into the intake in the L5P, and there seem to be some benefits from it...

But the motor is never ever seeing that cooler air. The only cooling that is happening is from the intercooler. That charge air is superheated by the turbo then cooled thru the intercooler and pushed into the manifold. My point being, the atmosphere temp entering your air intake can vary up to 30* and have zero effect on charge air temp.

But the motor is never ever seeing that cooler air. The only cooling that is happening is from the intercooler. That charge air is superheated by the turbo then cooled thru the intercooler and pushed into the manifold. My point being, the atmosphere temp entering your air intake can vary up to 30* and have zero effect on charge air temp.

Totally understand. :D

These are really popular on the newer Power Wagons. But the Power Wagons have a lot smaller following then a normal 2500/3500. And those owners spend a lot more time off pavement.

Back