Best shock absorbers?

Which brand?

• Total voters

kleann

VP44 pwr
Which shock brands or models do you guys prefer for your diesels? Vote in the poll and/or comment!

I'm in need of some new ones!

Last edited:
Well I have ran Rancho 9000XLs and Bilstein 5100s on my CTD. I have ran those plus Pro Comps on a number of chevy 4x4 off road gasser trucks.

On the CTD the Ranchos were a little rougher ride than the Bilsteins, but they lasted three times longer.

If you don't mind replacing the Bilsteins every year or so then they are the better ride.

Well I have ran Rancho 9000XLs and Bilstein 5100s on my CTD. I have ran those plus Pro Comps on a number of chevy 4x4 off road gasser trucks.

On the CTD the Ranchos were a little rougher ride than the Bilsteins, but they lasted three times longer.

If you don't mind replacing the Bilsteins every year or so then they are the better ride.

Damn, if they only last a year I just can't do that. The Pro comps are looking good. How did you like those?

Damn, if they only last a year I just can't do that. The Pro comps are looking good. How did you like those?

The Pro Comps were fine on the gasser 4x4 trucks, but those trucks were setup for off road and the street ride was never very smooth. But from a shock performance they were good.

I just know the Bilsteins on mine were very nice ride for about a year. They just seemed to get worse from that point on. The Ranchos lasted around three years before they got to the same point.

I'm pretty much down to Rancho 9000's and Fabtech's.

There ya go, ignore the poll :lolly:

On a serious note, there are two series of bilsteins (5100s and standard yellow ones, not sure on model). The yellow ones are supposed to ride better than the 5100s but are NOT adjustable...

You can get a set of the yellow ones on a chevy for around $250 IIRC

$.02

Last edited:
Red KYB Monomax
Firm shock...valved almost identical to the 5100 Bil's for 1/2 the price and lasts 3 times as long. Only shocks I'll run on a large truck.

Exactly! Sadly I chose the ride and just sold my Ranchos to a friend with just a few thousand miles on them. I'll keep buying Bilsteins on a regular basis until someone comes out with a shock that rides as good but actually lasts (and doesn't cost 3 or 4 times more)

Back