47re light throttle shifting

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Gonna make this short and sweet.

Took Jeff's VB out and installed a nice unit from FirePunk. I wanted softer shifts and all that jazz.

Anyways. Upon the first drive with the new VB it shifted purrfect. EXACTLY what I wanted but as the truck and fluid warms up my light throttle shifts points move from 1200 up around the areas of 1600-1800 thus creating a jolting shift in stop and go traffic.

The more I think about it my Garmon VB was doing this almost exact thing which is making me guess that I may have an electrical issue. Possibly the APPS?

I'm resetting the APPS now but wanted to get this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

What are your tranny temps doing?

Sad to say but I don't know. I've got my gauge mount but haven't ordered my gauge because of other expenses. I'll try to order one this week.

I drove the truck after sitting all afternoon yesterday in 55 degree weather and it shifted fine then jumped on the interstate and drove about 10 miles. Got off the ramp and stopped at a light then started from a dead stop going as slow as possible to watch for the light throttle shift point and it went all the way to 1700 or so. I tried this 3 more times at 3 more red lights and it varied between 1600-1800 rpm then it shifted to second.

I haven't driven the truck yet today but about to run to the grocery store.

Have you talked to Lavon? He is very helpful and can talk in a way you can understand. We have been talking for the last month helping me dial in every shift to my liking. Still having problems, but its getting there.

Last edited:
APPS reset did nothing. Adjusted the APPS voltage from .48 to .56 (where it's supposed to be). Did nothing either.

Have you talked to Lavon? He is very helpful and can talk in a way you can understand. We have been talking for the last month helping me dial in every shift to my liking. Still having problems, but its getting there.

Yeah, he called me last night. I can only bug the man so much haha! I have to say he's a stand up dude that's for sure!

Is your TV cable adjusted properly?

That's where lavon wants me to start. It wants me to move the clip a notch or two so that it shifts sooner.

One other thing I forgot to mention to him and y'all. When I drove the truck for the first time yesterday I let it idle in neutral for a few minutes then shifted into drive slow took off for a few feet but the trans shifted into neutral by itself. I tried shifting to 1,2, drive and reverse but nothing happened. Finally drive caught and I was under way. It did this to me 2 more times but after that it didn't do it any more.

Any idea on that either?

Ok we got the slipping into neutral fixed. Low on fluid because I'm partially retarded.

Zstroken. What's the proper way to have the tv cable adjusted? Also I'm afraid to adjust my bands because I keep reading posts about how people adjust them and the tranny starts acting strange.

I'm still getting the high rpm 1-2 shift when the truck is warm. It did it today on the way home from when ingot some traffic.

If you have a torque wrench then the band adjustment is pretty easy. If someone has problems after a band adjustment then they did it wrong. Ask lavon how many turns to back it out for his vb.

Thanks Mathews I will.

My TV cable seems to have around a 1/16" before the throttle linkage starts pulling the cable.

base setting for all tv cables is at WOT throttle the cable is pulled tight. You never want to go tighter then that otherwise it will hold the throttle from going to WOT.

Boom!

Front Band - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2-1/2 turns
Rear Band
32/42RH - Tighten to 72 in-LB, back off 4 turns
36/37/46/47RH - Tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2 turns
Front Band
42RH - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2-1/4 turns
46RH - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2-7/8 turns
47RH - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 1-7/8 turns
Rear Band
42RH - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 4 turns
46RH - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2 turns
47RH - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 3 turns
Front Band - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2-7/8 turns
Rear Band - tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2 turns
------1997 [From: "Paul R. Haller" To: DiRT]
Front Band
46RE - tighten screw to 8N.m or 72 inch pounds, back off 2 7/8 turns
47RE - tighten screw to 8N.m or 72 inch pounds, , back off 1 7/8 turns
Rear band
46RE - tighten screw to 8N.m or 72 inch pounds, back off 2 turns
47RE - tighten screw to 8N.m or 72 inch pounds, back off 3 turns
The adjustment screw inside the case is a square head bolt. You will need a special 1/4 square head socket to fit your torque wrench.
------1998 unknown
Front Band
47RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 1 7/8 turns
42 RE - The final adjustment for the front band has been changed to:
back off 3 turns. (TSB 21-16-98)
Rear Band
47RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 3 turns
The 47RH rear band requires a 1/4" hex driver, the front band requires a T-30 Torx driver, the filter is held in place by two screws which require a T-20 Torx driver
------2000-2001
Front Band
42RE - Tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 3 turns
44RE - Tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 1 7/8 turns
46RE - Tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 2 7/8 turns
47RE - Tighten to 72 in-lb, back off 1 7/8 turns
From Bill Konolday's 47RE notes: I usually go a little looser than factory specs on this front band - backing off the adjustment screw 2 or 2 1/4 turns. Depending on the circumstances I have backed off the band up to 2 1/2 turns.
Rear Band
42RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 4 turns
44RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 4 turns
46RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 2 turns
47RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 3 turn

The first gear band adjustment is on the outside of the housing, the second requires removing the pan. And nobody gets issue after they adjust bands if they have a torque wrench. Lots of people think over-tightening it will make them slip less. wrong.

Last edited:
I thought the front band adjustment(side of case) is know as the second gear band? As the rear band adjustment(under Trans pan) is known as the low/reverse? According to Lavon with billet accumulator pistons the front band needs 1/4" of play.

Band location info came from alldatapro.com

I thought the front band adjustment(side of case) is know as the second gear band? As the rear band adjustment(under Trans pan) is known as the low/reverse? According to Lavon with billet accumulator pistons the front band needs 1/4" of play.

Band location info came from alldatapro.com

Correct. The front(intermediate/2nd gear) band is adjusted near the tv lever on the side of the case. Factory adjustment is not always best. It depends on vb setup and lever ratio. Some like 1 3/4 out and some do better with 2 turns out, just depends on setup. The rear band is for manual low and reverse like mentioned. It's not as touchy to adjust.

Back