What timing for P-Pump?

Austin296

Hey guys, I have been working on cars for years, but am new to diesels. I picked up a 1994 Dodge 3500 dually with a 12 valve in it. 240k miles, very little maintenance was ever done, but it appears to be a good strong motor.

I purchased a KDP kit and I figure while I have everything off the front, I may as well adjust the P-pump while I am there.

In the end, this engine will be in a 37 chevy pickup that will weigh about 4500 lbs. My goal is 400-450 HP, but I want as little smoke as possible.

Planned mods:
KDP Fix
Re-torque Head Bolts
#10 Fuel Plate
3K Gov Spring Kit
4in Exhaust
Bigger Air Filter
Heater Grid Delete (maybe, I live in Texas...)
Port/Polish Turbo Housing
Boost Elbow
Injectors (either 5 x 14 or 5 x 12)
Gauges
Trans Rebuild
Triple Disk Converter (got a good deal on a used one)

With all that being said, what do you recommend I set the timing to? I have seen people recommend 15-19 degrees, but I could use some advice.

Also, if you want to recommend a pyrometer setup that wont break the bank, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Austin

I bumped mine to 20* on retorqued stock bolts and it lasted 3 days before the hg started leaking antifreeze oit the side of the head.

16 to 18 is a good safe number with a good power increase. We have had good luck switching head bolts to studs one at a time. If you have it on the floor I would put new gaskets on the lifter cover. You have to pull the pump but it's not bad laying on the floor.

Back