Voltage regulator

SixOhh

EPA unfriendly
Isn't my voltage regulator part of the ECU?

I am seeing about 14.7v anytime the truck is running. i have tried 2 different alternators since its been doing this for over a year.

I know its not a LOT of over charging but i am particular about my truck. my stereo Amps love it but i am starting to think it is shortening the life of my batteries. I have put a set of Delco batteries in since then and i never replace just one battery. Batteries load test fine and i put them on a high end charger that desulficates them when it sits. cables are clean and tight of course...

what would you go after? grounds? PCM?

I have worked on a LOT of 3rd gens and never seen an over charging issue.

Attachments

• 20160930_134434.jpg
    20160930_134434.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 0
My 03 charges about 14.5-14.8 all the time. I believe that it is normal. In the winter months in ohio it charges 14.8-15.2 ! At least that's what the edge cts insight reads. Yes it is computer controlled. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Voltage is controlled by the Battery Temperature. There is a sensor in the bottom of one of the battery trays. I don't have one on my conversion and I see the voltages you guys are seeing. I was going to add one to see if it lowers the voltage to a lower amount. BTW the part number for it is #56041053

Mine is the same. Seems like it has crept up a bit lately. Just make sure sure both batteries are getting the same voltage and the cross over cable is good and clean.

i dont remember seeing a battery temp sensor under either batteries and ive put several sets in since 07. as long as its normal im fine with it.

i bought 2 in dash volt meters off ebay (one for the 2nd gen) and the 2nd gen sits at 13.7 all day long.

oh well, id rather ask than wonder....

thought i would bring this up......

now that its winter i see 14.9-15.0 volts. anyone else get this high?

thought i would bring this up......

now that its winter i see 14.9-15.0 volts. anyone else get this high?

Yes, this guy mentioned it earlier in this thread...

My 03 charges about 14.5-14.8 all the time. I believe that it is normal. In the winter months in ohio it charges 14.8-15.2 ! At least that's what the edge cts insight reads. Yes it is computer controlled. Hope this helps.

Mark.

Yes, this guy mentioned it earlier in this thread...

Mark.
Wish I could get mine to charge higher. It only charges at 13.7, is there anyway to raise it without going to a aftermarket voltage regulator? Batteries need all the help they can get with these -5 degree mornings we've been having.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are you referring to your 99 second gen? if so they charge @ less then 14v... my wifes 01 charges at 13.7 too.

The only reason i bring up talk about batteries is, i used to run a golf cart business and i learned a LOT about batteries since that is the heart of an electric cart. 12.5v is the breaking point for a 12v battery. 12.7 is a healthy resting voltage and once a battery gets below about 12.4 desulfication occurs. This is the process where the lead plates start getting build up. I have purchased several battery chargers that can reverse this process and i must say XS power and Genius are my favorite battery healers.

Back