View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 12:07 AM   #17
Crawler

Name: Crawler
Title: Press the BIG RED button.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride813 View Post
How far did you drop your front? It’s close to how I’d want mine. But mine will be about 3 inches higher all the way around. Just from what I can tell by pics. Not going super low for now
I actually never tired to figure it out.

Basically I planned 2" drop arms, 2" drop spindles, and some 1500 stock springs. Then I realized that with where I welded in my four link, that my truck would be tugboating (rear way lower than front).

To get the front down I did the following.

I cut out the front spring cup from the frame, welded in an adjustable coilover mount, welded tabs to the lower a-arm(aftermarket arm) and measured the truck for AFCO coilover shocks.

This lowered the truck to the point that my upper ball joint was now the limiting factor. It was in a complete bind and the weight of the front end was being held by the balljoint rather than the spring. So, the upper a-arm was cut, tweaked, and re welded. At this point the truck was low enough in the front, but we could not get the toe anywhere close. So the draglink was sectioned in order to get the toe in spec.

I'll tell you this, it's low enough that if you run a stock depth oil pain, you will scrape it on a regular basis.

For a track only rig, it works.

For less time, money, and effort, or for a more streetable setup....

Front spindles
Lowering arms
Stock 1500 springs

Then with the engine in place and final weight on the front end, place jackstands under the framerail under the cab, level the truck on the stands.

Measure out the rear and determine location for the 4-link brackets. If done correctly, you should end up with a level rig without having to get silly with the front end.

95 Dodge-1500 Back Half 4-link 12V
2020 Duramax 2500 HPTuners
2015 Duramax 2500 EFI Live
2017 Powerstroke 3500 EZ Lynk