View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
leftcoast12v

Name: leftcoast12v
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Mechanical truck running old holset tech on an unloaded dyno

I must be a purist of sort who gets off on holset turbochargers. I say this due to the fact I am run what some consider "old technology" ie for this truck a hx52. the truck is a 96 5 speed that is a tow rig and a daily. Several months back I decided to put the old girl on a dyno with the 52g.. I was hoping for 520 with my setup, I didn't quite make that. I made 493whp. My first run I foolishly used direct drive as I am fearful of breaking 5th gear on the ole NV. Well the second run I netted just shy of 5. Had I set my purse down and ran it in 5th the first time I may have netted that few extra hp to kiss the 5 mark. The mods at that time included old tech DD 5x14s (smokey), benched pump, 18* timing, 165 springs and the other normal supporting mods like a lift a lift pump etc. This truck is a daily/tow rig. This charger spooled great, and had great egt control. 1250* was the maximum exhaust gas tempature I would see. This charger was a 67x99, 84x70, 13cm T4i gated hx52. I feel a little bump in timing and I would have been in the low 500s marks and possibly even hitting my original guess of 520. However i upgraded the fueling to some Haley Speed Innovation injectors that were larger, because who can keep the daily at a mild level? The exact label stated, "much fuel, but not to much". I also bumped the timing up to 26* as per what he suggested. Truck now has more fuel than it can clean up with the 13cmG and the 84x70 turbine. I feel it is lacking turbine, so this week I will be swapping the turbine housing out for a 16cm and a 86x77 turbine. I am hoping to hit low 600s with this setup.. Also I might add I may be slightly spoiled as my neighbor has a dynojet 224x chassis dyno . I am very eager to see the results of this new setup. What is your guess on hp/torque? No correction factors, and we are close to sea level.
06 cr DD