View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
cottondoc

Name: cottondoc
Title: new to site
Member`s Gallery
Squealing serpentine belt?

Yesterday, out of the blue, my serpentine belt started chirping or squealing nonstop. I’ve only driven probably 100 miles or so around town and two lane roads since it started, but it is getting progressively worse. I sprayed the belt with WD-40(all I had available at the time)with the truck idling and the squeal would stop for 1-2 seconds until the WD-40 had worn off. I tried to check all the pulleys for play or signs of failure at the alternator, water pump, and power steering pump but I could not see anything obvious. There is no water leaking from the water pump and the truck runs normal and cool. The alternator is charging normally and the power steering seems to work normally. Nothing changes the squeal but engine rpm changes the speed. Any ideas on what it is or how to diagnose it? I had three water pumps go out, one on my 2007.5, one on my 2014, and one on my 1995, so that was my first thought. But all of them leaked water. They did not make the belt squeal. Could it just be the belt worn out? The truck is my 2006 5.9, 48re with 148,000 miles. Thanks for any help or info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995 RCLB, 12V, 4x4, ProStreet Diesel built full billet auto, compounds 366/480, 5x.18 injectors, pump mods, fire rings, ARP 625 head studs - For Sale

Last edited by cottondoc; 12-08-2018 at 07:22 AM.