View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #163
Michael

Name: Michael
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Episode 28:

I had a little bit of a side project to complete, as racing season was here and my Vega was no longer making the noise limits at our local track (they got a new sensor system which is apparently more sensitive). I had been running two Dynomax Bullet mufflers per side, but switched to a single large Magnaflow stainless muffler per side, with mounts and 90° ends turned to face each other under the car.

Click the image to open in full size.

With some crude testing in my garage using a newly acquired noise meter, it appeared to drop my noise by around 3 - 5 dB, hopefully that is enough!

Next it was time to start the first of many diagonals in the double frame rails:

After the first couple of diagonals I started "mass producing" them:

Welding the diagonals in was a bit of a challenge, as I had to have my head way too close to the weld. I tried some reader glasses to help me focus on such close-up items, but they were more hassle than it was worth.

After way too many hours with my body folded up to where it would fit between tubes, I finally had all of the diagonals fully welded.

Next up was the start of the firewall support tubing. The "base" for all of this is a big diagonal on the passenger's side firewall, to help counter the torque of the drivetrain as it is transmitted through the mid-plate. This tube intersects a point with several tubes converging, so the notching was a bit difficult:

This picture doesn't quite do justice to all of the weird contours I had to cut in that tube to eliminate gaps:

The top side was a more conventional (and much easier) notch, aside from being a pretty steep angle.

And finally I could weld the other end in with its weird contours:

Next up was the first of many triangulating tubes coming off this main diagonal:

Unfortunately as I had tacked this one in I realized that I forgot to drill pressure relief holes! Fortunately another tube would connect across from it, so I was able to drill the pressure relief hole from that point and through both walls of the large diagonal.

At one point in this notching I realized that my notcher was allowing the notched tube to rotate, despite having the clamp screw so tight that it was deflecting. My solution was to carve a few longitudinal ridges in the clamp, which helped a bunch.

In the immortal words of Britney Spears, "Oops, I did it again", I managed to forget another set of pressure bleed holes, but fortunately was able to drill across.

After many more tubing cuts, notches, tack welds, and finish welds I had the passenger's firewall structure complete:

Now it was time to do the driver's side firewall structure, which has a much different shape due to the opening for the recessed "foot box". This required the first tube to just cantilever out from the upper frame rail at a 90° angle. This was tougher than it looked, getting it positioned just right then holding it while tack welding it (and fighting against the weld draw as the weld cools).

Now it's starting to get more exciting for me, as I build the area that will surround me as a driver. Needless to say, I'm taking my time and not cutting any corners when it comes to protecting me!
95 F350 CC DRW, Intake, exhaust, chip, injectors, locker, gauges
00 Jetta TDI - tunes, clutch & gauges
And a bunch of gassers