View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #18
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflanery88 View Post
I didn't have any issues. theoretically thinking about it it doesn't make sense to shove a wider ring into a smaller hole due to the ring no longer being a perfect circle. But honestly the ring tension seemed to be about the same I just had a lot more ring filing to get the .020 rings in the hole lol. The Std ring gap measured .018 top ring and .045 second ring at .0045 PTW std bore, once I sent the block back to the machine shop to get my .0075 PTW top ring gap was over .025 and the second I think came in right around .054 end gap. I ordered a set of every ring pack available offered by Mahle which was the isb rings in std and .020 and the qsb rings in std and .020 just to see if there were any differences in sizing. I went with the .020 over isb ring set due to the second ring being a cast moly faced ring, and not the stronger ductile iron chrome faced second ring like the QSB rings beacause the QSB second ring probably never seat. As far as the top ring and oil control rings were identical in every set.
I am pretty sure the ring will still be a perfect circle, it just has more pressure.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!