P-pumped NV4500 swap

WILD_PHIL

1992 W250 Getrag 4x4

My VE & Getrag are doing OK but the engine is leaking oil and the trans feels somewhat weak. I believe I can make them last, might be the rest of the year might be 3 years. My plan is to go ahead and get started on building an engine and have it on the engine stand ready to go. I'll be buying a whole truck.

I'm wondering if I can use a 2wd NV4500 on this swap? I've got a ton of other questions but that's the one I need answered to get started.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
62609f594382d310d24e38972f855423.jpg

Picture of what I'm working with.

The main shaft is different 2wd vs 4wd. By the time you buy all the conversion parts it's usually cheaper to start with the 4wd setup.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 64.5sxe
90 d350 5x010 hx35

the main shaft is different 2wd vs 4wd. By the time you buy all the conversion parts it's usually cheaper to start with the 4wd setup.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 64.5sxe
90 d350 5x010 hx35

g e o r g e o u s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G e o r g e o u s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G e o r g e o u s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main shaft and tail housing are different on the NV4500s, but if you're buying a whole truck, you might find a much better deal on a 2wd plus the 5th gear nut comes loose so you might want to upgrade to a fully splined main shaft. You can find tail housings for around $120.00 on Ebay and a fully splined main shaft is around $100.00.

Have you thought about what transfer case you are going to use? If you can't find a cheap used one, they can be pricey rebuilt. Just something else to consider when looking at trucks.

Wow didn't get the alert for all the replys. Thanks for all the info. I've got a line on a couple of 5 speed P pumped 4x4s. I plan on buying a whole truck taking the engine and tranny and rebuilding both of them. My current combo is doing good but the sooner I get started on the replacements the better. I figured I'd run the T case that's on the first gen now. I belive there's an adapter I can buy to accomplish that. My T case looks like it's been rebuilt recently. Very tight and looks great.

Ok so I've read thread that say the np271 from the 3rd gens is a good easy swap to do? Any chance the t case I'd be getting with a 94-98 12v could be converted to work in place of my np205? Is a 2nd gen t case the np241? I've haven't been able to find a straight answer on google.

Pretty much any case offered in a 3/4 ton or larger truck after the NP205 is stronger than the NP205. You also get a little more low range as the 205 is 1.99:1 and the chain drive stuff is usually like 2.6:1 or lower.

Only the 208/241 was built to kick out on the passenger side. I'd stick to your 205 and change the input shaft if you chose not to use the gasser 4500.

Of course, you could always swap in a 60 from a second gen or hunt up one of the super rare '78-'79 kingpin Dana60 ford fronts. Imagine how easy it would be to get a 5" exhaust past the transfer case then.

I'd stick with finding a dodge NV4500. Your 205 will go right on the dodge NV4500 since you already have the 29 spline version from behind the Getrag. Yes, 241DHD, and 271s are stronger. But do take a little work to make them work for RH drop.

Well I lifted the head on my current motor. After tearing b it down I realized it was in really bad shape. So I was going to buy a new head and it sold today. So now I'm thinking I should just go buy a whole p pumped motor and drop it in.

Wondering what else I'll need to do to make this work. Everything I find online is about converting your VE to a P7100. I'm looking to drop a whole P7100 engine in. The only things I can think of off the top of my head is a fuel supply pump, and a fuel shut off switch.

Well I lifted the head on my current motor. After tearing b it down I realized it was in really bad shape. So I was going to buy a new head and it sold today. So now I'm thinking I should just go buy a whole p pumped motor and drop it in.

Wondering what else I'll need to do to make this work. Everything I find online is about converting your VE to a P7100. I'm looking to drop a whole P7100 engine in. The only things I can think of off the top of my head is a fuel supply pump, and a fuel shut off switch.

You'll have to change the throttle cable I think or at least modify it. Use your old sensors from the VE engine and you should be good I think. Make sure you use your fan hub and pulley/fan clutch and keep your engine plate if you're not going to a NV4500 yet.

Last edited:
62609f594382d310d24e38972f855423.jpg

Picture of what I'm working with.

I think you should sell the truck to me instead of dumping a bunch of money in it to help buy the 2016 you are gathering info. on. :) I am serious......

Well I flew to Florida and picked this up on Monday. The head is in the machine shop and the engine is being degreased. I'm gonna clean and paint the engine and completely reseal it. I've got like 3 guys in front of you. Lol
b0702d7cdcb7588c559d11156cb5d9e0.jpg

The trans shop I do alot of work with did an NV4500 swap for one of his customers. He had to completely redo the trans tunnel by cutting it out and totally fabbing a new one. you will need the bell housing that the nv4500 used and it should bolt right up (correct me if im wrong).

Hadn't heard the tunnel needed to be modded. You are correct that the adapter needs to be swapped. I found that it's cheaper and easier to do a whole swap, over swapping the pump and and the trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a buddy that swapped a 4500, new dual disc clutch, all adaptors needed for the trans case. Totally turn key running and driving setup. He was looking to go to a auto swap and was wanting to sell the whole package, let me know if your interested.

You will need to swap over the 1st gen fan hub to the 2nd gen motor, as the 1st gen fan hub is offset differently. You will also need to wire in a complete new power supply using relay for the 2nd gen s/s too. You can use VE s/s wire to trigger relay.

Back