View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
Wire brush with acetone all edges, fit together and hold in place with masking tape. Seal with tape/tinfoil and purge into the bottom side and put a few small pinholes in the top side. Remember argon is heavier than air and will "fill up" the inside of your tube. Regulators measure flow, not pressure. Use about 5cfm of flow and let it flow long enough that it flows cubic feet equal to the tube's volume. A simple internet volume calculator for a cylinder will work. If you purge with too much flow the argon will actually swirl and mix with air and take longer to get a good purge. Once purge is complete peal back the masking tape in the area you are going to tack and clean any residue away with wire brush and acetone. Turn the purge up to 15-20cfm and place your tack, continue this way until all tacks are placed. Leave purge in place and begin welding. Skip around and use a backstep technique. Be careful not to get the stainless too hot, overheating will cause carbon precipitation/sugaring and reduce corrosion resistance. On your torch use a gas lens and 25-30cfm argon. Amperage should be <1amp/0.001" material thickness. Hope this helps!
This is very helpful! Thank you
This will be 1mm wall thickness (not turbo diesel application). Any thoughts on how far I should do my backstepping? Maybe an inch?
I'll start at 40amp on the non-show side and see how it goes.

Thanks again!