97 (No speedometer, odometer, and trip)

JNewman92

Its Only $$$$$
Just purchased a 97 today an just like the title says the speedometer, odometer, an trip are all not working :bang. Haven't gotten a chance to really start digging in to it but wanted to see if anyone here knows of a common culprit before I start troubleshooting. Truck was originally an automatic an then swapped to a NV4500 by the previous owner. Both brake an ABS light is on also. Any help is appreciated. Also if anyone knows of any place to purchase or view a good complete wiring diagram for these trucks please let me know as well!

My buddy with a 98 12v had the same problem. Ended up being the sensor in the top of the rear diff. I was completely disintegrated so we had to pull the cover and punch pieces of it out from the inside.

The '97 and earlier vehicle speed sensor (vss) is mounted on the tail shaft of the trans on a 2WD and on the TC of a 4X4. If yours is a 2WD and the trans is from a '98 or newer the mounting point for the vss won't be there. Genos sells the factory service manual that contains all the wire diagrams.

The '97 and earlier vehicle speed sensor (vss) is mounted on the tail shaft of the trans on a 2WD and on the TC of a 4X4. If yours is a 2WD and the trans is from a '98 or newer the mounting point for the vss won't be there. Genos sells the factory service manual that contains all the wire diagrams.

Thanks for the tip on the diagrams. An good information, truck is 4 wheel drive an I was told it worked after the conversion an just had recently stopped but not sure how much of it is true.

An so 97 an earlier only gets signal from the speed sensor there an not from the abs sensor on the rear as well?

There is a ABS sensor, but it is just for the ABS. Don't automatically assume the sensor is bad, there are about a dozen things that will illuminate the light. The FSM has a lengthy troubleshooting section for it.

Yeah, in 98 they started using the ABS sensor for the speedo, but in my experience, it only did 0-25mph. My last truck (98) had it go out and I had no speedo from 0-25mph until I replaced it. I want to say cruise control wouldn't work either.

My 97 (current truck) has the sensor go out around 280k. I would recommend replacing all the sensors externally mounted in the transmission as well. They're all pretty cheap.

My 98 speed sensor was on the diff. I thought 97 an earlier were on the trans. My 98 would go all funky an loose everything your loosing when it would rain. I could wiggle the wires on top the diff at the sensor and it would work intermittently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My money would be on the speed sensor at the back of the TC like stated before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, in 98 they started using the ABS sensor for the speedo, but in my experience, it only did 0-25mph. My last truck (98) had it go out and I had no speedo from 0-25mph until I replaced it. I want to say cruise control wouldn't work either.

My 97 (current truck) has the sensor go out around 280k. I would recommend replacing all the sensors externally mounted in the transmission as well. They're all pretty cheap.

The speed sensor in the rear diff is a VRS style sensor. (Variable reluctance sensor) so the faster you go, the stronger the signal becomes. This is probably why it didn't generate a strong enough signal until you were going over 25. Can also be caused by a buildup of metal debris on the sensor because it's a magnet as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I went an installed a new VSS from chrysler along with a new wiring pigtail at the Transfercase and still nothing. Noticed now brake an ABS lights go off for about 15-20 seconds when you first start it then come back on. Before they stayed on all the time, any other ideas guys???? I did mention the truck is a 5 speed swapped truck

The swap doesn't affect it. The VSS for the manual trans and the auto trans is identical. Did you clock the new VSS according to the manual. Did you do the troubleshooting that is in the manual?

The swap doesn't affect it. The VSS for the manual trans and the auto trans is identical. Did you clock the new VSS according to the manual. Did you do the troubleshooting that is in the manual?

I haven't gotten a manual yet. An how can it be clocked ?

You also complained about the ABS light. Do you read your own posts?

Only stated that it was on since I didn't know if there was any relation between the two, not complaining that it is on. Yes I do have a service manual that's on order but was hoping to get some helpful educated responses from those who have ran in to this. But it appears all I'm getting is smart ass comments. So thanks for your help!:clap:

Back