Build - 9 second drag truck #racegreen

bgreen776

White Collar Fabricator
This build will happen over the next year or two, so please be patient, offer your opinions and experiences, and follow along. :) I want to hear what you have to say.

This truck starts out with a 2002 Dodge 1500 2wd single cab short bed. Our goal is to build a drag racer that will run 9's and be consistent enough to competitively race brackets in the IHRA Summit Superseries Mod ET class.

This is the projected cost and detail of the project as of today. What am I missing?

#coffmancustoms #oftracing #thetransmissionguy

Description Amount
Baically stock 5.9 $5,000.00
Injection pump $3,500.00
Lift pumps $1,000.00
Fuel rail $350.00
EFI Live $1,500.00
Injectors $5,000.00
Transmission $6,500.00
Driveshaft $800.00
ECU $3,000.00
Wiring $200.00
Steering wheel $200.00
Seats $800.00
Harnesses $400.00
Tubing for cage $1,500.00
Four link $600.00
Drag shocks $1,200.00
Body work $100.00
Front bumper cover $500.00
Tailgate $100.00
Hood $1,000.00
Chute $350.00
Brakes $1,500.00
Spoiler $100.00
Tires $1,500.00
Wheels $1,800.00
Fuel cell $100.00
Trans brake
Floor shifter $450.00
Headlights $200.00
Turbo $2,500.00
Exhaust manifold $700.00
Rear axle $3,500.00
Motor mounts $50.00
Battery re-locate $150.00
Catch can system $150.00
Hood stack $200.00
Skin the bed and fenders $250.00
Intercooler $800.00

Total $47,550.00

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here are some things you may consider:
Studs, springs, headwork, electric pump/bypass, electric fan, high on ecu, low on wiring, cam, intake manifold, gauges, dual pump kit, rods, driveshaft loops, transmission blanket/bellhousing shield, battery cutoff switch, trans cooler, fuel fittings if you go AN.

And then add about 10-15% for all the little things that pop up along the way.

Last edited:
D@mn it Sir! I thought that was a pretty comprehensive list. LOL.

• I will build my own intake manifold and do a very basic port job.
  • Not sure what to do about the trans shield, or if I need one, but I have a blanket for our street/race quad cab, so that helps a little :p
  • Trans coolers should go on that list. Surprised I missed that as I just installed a couple nice kits from Silicone Intakes on our other truck.
  • Everything gets either pushlock hose or braided stainless with AN fittings! Its not cheap, but it saves in the long run, headaches and money.
  • I should throw line locks and brake line mods in there as well.
  • Electric pump and fan is a good catch too. I've been thinking about this for quite some time, debating on whether or not I want to keep the truck streetable. I'd love to keep it legal for driving to car shows and the like.
  • 10-15% for the little things might be too conservative. Ha! Its crazy how fast that stuff adds up so fast!

:thankyou2: Keep it coming. I firmly believe that thorough planning saves money.

I might go full tube chassis, but I doubt it. I would love to, but my shop is too small to take on a project like that.

That's a sweet truck! But half the reason for this project is the fun of researching, learning, building. The other half is skill development and maintenance. Otherwise I would just get a car loan and buy a turn key truck from someone getting out of the game. Racing brackets is just a goal, something to guide the build, I personally don't care for that kind of racing, but since it's all we have up here... Maybe I'll grow into it as I get older.

if ur going all out a side draft intake new pistons and a block girdle INMOP r well worth it in the long run.if nothing else the girdle is well worth it while u r in there

I will build a side draft intake for sure. I've always thought that would be a fun project. Not sure I will girdle it right away or not, but if I can swing it, I'd prefer not to put it back together without good rods and Pistons.

Rear axle: Strange, Moser, Currie, other?

I'd like to buy/build one axle and never worry about it again. My first thought is to build one myself, but time is a factor, yet I need to balance time vs. cost. So far I am thinking Ford 9" based, fabricated housing, and 40 spline gun drilled axles. This is not an area I want to compromise on.

Rear axle: Strange, Moser, Currie, other?

I'd like to buy/build one axle and never worry about it again. My first thought is to build one myself, but time is a factor, yet I need to balance time vs. cost. So far I am thinking Ford 9" based, fabricated housing, and 40 spline gun drilled axles. This is not an area I want to compromise on.

I wouldn't advise going with currie. I'm sure you saw the 9" thread. I think moser is probably the best value, but strange might be a better product with better customer service. 40 spline gun drilled is what i'd run. fabricated and backbraced housing too.

*hash tags do work, sorta, gives people a common search term. Not a bad thing when trying to give back to your sponsors.

*I am doing both. ;)

*trying to spend less money?

*those that can't or won't do it for themselves buy other people's headaches. Not my style. I like banging my head on walls I built. LOL.

*^this list is really stupid.

I wouldn't advise going with currie. I'm sure you saw the 9" thread. I think moser is probably the best value, but strange might be a better product with better customer service. 40 spline gun drilled is what i'd run. fabricated and backbraced housing too.

I haven't, but I will look for it. Thank you

Is there a decent "truck" section on Yellow Bullet? I seldom go there but maybe some other guys can verify that? Reason I ask is that they have a significantly larger pool of people/posts/threads compared to this site and are a drag race oriented site so surely there's some good info over there on components that work well in a drag truck? i.e. rearends, link setups, etc.

Just a thought for a resource.

They have separate forums for suspensions, drive trains. Go to each and search. Gotta think bigger than "trucks".

They have separate forums for suspensions, drive trains. Go to each and search. Gotta think bigger than "trucks".

I was just thinking the trucks are usually heavier and might be better guidance than rearend advice for a much lighter weight car. IDK. I was just thinking outloud. ;)

I was just thinking the trucks are usually heavier and might be better guidance than rearend advice for a much lighter weight car. IDK. I was just thinking outloud. ;)

See, I tried to look up "truck suspensions". I got very little results. Then I realized it is a leaf spring setup. So I search leaf spring setups and boom, more information than I could ever want. And it all came down to knowing your truck and it's weights, spring lengths, etc. Then you adjust it from there.

Same thing with rear end. Try searching "heavy car rear end suggestions" or something to that effect.

You also said things like link setups so I assumed you also meant suspension.

Back