Any particular 47/48 flexplates to stay away from?

BC847

I'm dicking around under the hood again, and converting the 1st gen heap to a lock-up converter.

VE fueled so the power might be up to 900 ~ 1100ft/lbs @ around 500 or so HP to the ground. Tops. . . . . . . on a good-air day.:blahblah1:

;)

I'm currently running an SFI rated stamped-steel plate in the NON lock-up setting.

May very well end up with a triple-disc section with a rather tight converter section.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Rude remarks?

Last edited:
Do NOT get one from PRW. I had one in my 91.5 and I was swapping engines (ruined one with improper cam install) and noticed the center was turned about 1/8" more than the rest. I'll see if I can find the pictures but I'm sure it didn't have much life left. I don't recall exactly how many miles on it but less than 10k. I did lots of WOT runs but never a boosted launch or sled pull or any kind of towing at all.

I'm not "All That" but I do commonly launch with 25psig as the lights come down.

I just want something that can easily withstand the only moderate shock loads my little mess might make. Then reliably go to the coast round-trip.

Last edited:
Firepunk sells a laminated sfi rated one cheap. They hold up great

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

When I purchased a DPC converter, Phil hooked me up with a SFI rated flex plate. It’s been fine behind my low power common rail. Said it’s what he ran in his drag truck at the time.

Stay away from the stock one. I use the one Firepunk sells. Have had it 4 years no issues. My trucks currently around 1000hp.

Stay away from the stock one.

X2 on that! lol i did this to mine going to a race in Tulsa... had to drive the race truck 1hr into town. Then pull the trans between races on the trailer in the pits to swap it out... not fun.

c58ebb14cb49ab95726fc19ecda1848e.jpg

Last edited:
I run the one Phil sells, seems like it was $100 or so?
I've gotten to be able to check its condition often, I've pulled the trans about 6 times in the last yr. But conv doing great!

I blew out the stock flexplate with the completely stock/virgin engine in 1995.

I'm very familiar with the stock flexplate. ;)

Based on the posts above, I'm reading that the typical stamped-steel SFI article might be well suited for my application?

While the $400~500 billet/laminated/007 plate certainly can handle my mess reliably, if I don't need it, then I'll stay with the current basic SFI unit.

Correct?

Hmmmm . . .

There's a used Suncoast billet flexplate for sale for $280. He says it's got all of 1500 miles on it with no boosted launches and has never seen the track.

Numerous pics clearly show the ring-gear teeth are pristine. The plate looks like it might have been cleaned.

The downside is I can't magnaflux the thing till it's in my hands.

Hmmmm . . . .

If the simple/basic SFI rated stamped-steel unit won't have a problem with the shock-loads of shifting gears, while locked, while at WOT with a strong VE, then fine.

A ve pump isn't going to hurt a laminated sfi one like firepunk sells. Not even with locked shifts,nitrous,meth,propane, hydrazine. Whatever you throw at it

A ve pump isn't going to hurt a laminated sfi one like firepunk sells. Not even with locked shifts,nitrous,meth,propane, hydrazine. Whatever you throw at it

No lamination on either of my two recently (six months ago) purchased Firepunk SFI flex plates.

Back