View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #305
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
Bowl size doesn't change the cylinder wall width so it won't have an effect on when/where fuel can directly spray on the cylinder walls.

With stock bowls on a 12 valve and 145* pattern injectors, you usually can get away with 24* timing and still be inside the bowl when using thin 020" copper sealing washers. There is a difference between being in the bowl on the upper lip and in the bowl down where the fuel was designed to be sprayed. This truck got excellent fuel mileage before the bottom end rebuild and wider pistons, when it was running stock pistons, 5x014" VCO Budget Builder Injectors, thin washers, and 24* timing.

What charger did it run with that setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMITTY View Post
I've ran my 180 pump at a hair over 19 for 2 Alaska winters. Mpgs are in the low 20s on the highway - could be better if I was babying it. You can tell its trying a little harder when it's 5* outside and when it's constantly cold and dipping into the negatives I just plug it in with a timer set for 2-3 hours before I plan on starting it. Stock head gasket and I haven't tightened the head bolts down more. I like 19* more than I did when it was at 16*. 24* will be next

Thanks for the input. My spare pump is down at seths and I haven't decided what I want done to it yet.