Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Damn. A guy can't get no love around here.

0BDBAD8A-63FF-4F9D-8C0F-3D06C775E3E4_zpsffbgyxum.jpg

At least yours in the correct flavor of truck. Paccar only bought Pete in 1958 as a place to use all the second rate parts that didn't stand up to KW quality.

I'm just going to have it Cerakoted like all the rest of these parts, and all the others we have done. Only reason the manifold isn't done is the local guy we have do them had a bad batch of ceramic and it wouldn't stick and the truck needed to go have the deck plate made. Got more and it's good again. Don't really care about insulation just want it to stay shiny.

Before you say the stuff doesn't last you have to remember nothing is forever. When the coating starts to change color you have to scrub it with a fine scotch brite pad to bring it back. I see guys complain all the time how the polished ceramic coating doesn't last and every one of them bolted the part on and never touched it again. If you want hassle free you have to go with flat black. The polished isn't made for the temp these parts see but will easily last for years. When it finally fails you blast it off and re-coat.

Cool thanks for the info.

Me I'm more about function over form. I'm going to try out swains white lightning with that pyrogel wrap.

Last edited:
I haven't heard if it cleaned up the smoke haze. Wasn't bad just could see a small trail on a hill with the single and the pyro would climb. Now he can hold it on the wood all day.

I'd be interested to know what he's running for timing, fuel settings and nozzles.

IIRC, the timing in my dads motor is set at half a hole advanced, stock nozzles and I don't remember where the pump is set at. He says on a hard pull there is a small trail about half the length of the trailer and he HS to kick the fan on as soon as he starts the pull. Not sure where he's at with exhaust temps.

Is the bottom charger in that setup in the factory location on the manifold? The HX just sits on top of the motor correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They still had open spots laat week...

Would love to go, especially if a couple of you guys are there. Unfortunately, we're not going to be around. My dad got into hauling horses last fall and we're running a load back from Florida that weekend.

I'd be interested to know what he's running for timing, fuel settings and nozzles.

IIRC, the timing in my dads motor is set at half a hole advanced, stock nozzles and I don't remember where the pump is set at. He says on a hard pull there is a small trail about half the length of the trailer and he HS to kick the fan on as soon as he starts the pull. Not sure where he's at with exhaust temps.

Is the bottom charger in that setup in the factory location on the manifold? The HX just sits on top of the motor correct?

There is a brace from the hot pipe down to the block that supports the top charger.

He said water will get to 210 and fan comes on and brings it back down. Yes factory square port manifold, HX is on a custom bracket attached to Acert factory bracket.

Friend is playing with an aftercooled 1985 3406B. Had an 80mm Borg single and decided to throw an HX on top. 100* cooler on a hard pull, 200* cooler on smaller rolling hills in TN and KY.

We're running a turbo dating service. Every one of them needs a friend to work with.

9538b38ec9f6515b8d5458b36cee7126.jpg

What size HX is that? Doesn't look much larger than the s480?!? Is it an HX60 or hx80 with a large compressor in it? I've been tossing the idea of twinning my brother's '88 W9 with a 3406 in it, just wasn't sure how big of a compressor inlet and turbine I'd need to actually gain anything....Or go too big and make it run worse...

What size HX is that? Doesn't look much larger than the s480?!? Is it an HX60 or hx80 with a large compressor in it? I've been tossing the idea of twinning my brother's '88 W9 with a 3406 in it, just wasn't sure how big of a compressor inlet and turbine I'd need to actually gain anything....Or go too big and make it run worse...

82. 4". 1.50 g-trim

I'm just going to have it Cerakoted like all the rest of these parts, and all the others we have done. Only reason the manifold isn't done is the local guy we have do them had a bad batch of ceramic and it wouldn't stick and the truck needed to go have the deck plate made. Got more and it's good again. Don't really care about insulation just want it to stay shiny.

Before you say the stuff doesn't last you have to remember nothing is forever. When the coating starts to change color you have to scrub it with a fine scotch brite pad to bring it back. I see guys complain all the time how the polished ceramic coating doesn't last and every one of them bolted the part on and never touched it again. If you want hassle free you have to go with flat black. The polished isn't made for the temp these parts see but will easily last for years. When it finally fails you blast it off and re-coat.

Where do you have this done at? I've been charged considering dressing mine up. The only place around here that does high temp is Swain Tech and the only color they do it in is white.... I guess I could get it done in white then paint with grill paint.

Where do you have this done at? I've been charged considering dressing mine up. The only place around here that does high temp is Swain Tech and the only color they do it in is white.... I guess I could get it done in white then paint with grill paint.

There are 3 places around here that does the coating. These were done a few miles from the shop by the same guy who powdercoated the engine. Can do black, gray or this polished.

Here's the gray
299a4de805c900c5afe49f5045a8cbf2.jpg

And the polished

b5452e22976ff39af1263e80e20a34c5.jpg

e24b8edac10818a75ba5bc9bafb879a6.jpg

We haven't done anything black but it's by far the most durable.
From my experience, yes they still glow (at least on a gasser).

Was that the Zanesville or Coshocton AK steel?

Ashland.

Last edited:
There are 3 places around here that does the coating. These were done a few miles from the shop by the same guy who powdercoated the engine. Can do black, gray or this polished.

I'm not usually into the polished but I do like the looks of this. What is the brand name of the ceramic coat used? I'll call around to a couple powder coaters locally and see if they use this product.

On a side note, where do you buy those flexible pieces from that you have on the charge air side and on the exhaust side and your v-bands?

Last edited:
I'm not usually into the polished but I do like the looks of this. What is the brand name of the ceramic coat used? I'll call around to a couple powder coaters locally and see if they use this product.

On a side note, where do you buy those flexible pieces from that you have on the charge air side and on the exhaust side and your v-bands?

It's Cerakote I believe, about anyone that powdercoats can ceramic coat but few can get the polished finish.

The stainless bellows are all stock Acert Cat. On my set I used a Vibrant Performance HD clamp instead.

Had these done at Central Connecticut Coatings. Might be closer for you

Attachments

• 20170419_200534.jpg
    20170419_200534.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 0
What kind of bmep/cylinder pressures are some of these engines making? At what point do you have to go beyond just setting the protrusion correctly and start going with custom stuff?

Back