View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #31
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
I only know what I got popped for back in 2008 and no safety chains on a 5th wheel hitch was part of the short list of defects.
It wasn't imagined, nor was the fine very easy to forget.

In truth, the OP's problem actually proves the need for safety chains.
I also think he needs to look his equipment over better before he moves his truck.
2 times with the same mistake means there's a problem, figure it out before you kill someone..

Mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
I haven't put nearly 1.3 miles on my pickup overnight. The regs in 2008 were the same as they are now. The 100+ I referred to is on the hitch I have now. I wore out the pivot bearings on it's predecessor. I've been doing this since 2003.

Once again, name one RV maker who installs safety chains on their 5th wheels. You can't. Just because you got a ticket that you could have easily beat you want to make up DOT regs? Too funny.
You're both right but Mark is more correct than GAmes. About 90/10% to be exact. 5th wheel RVs won't come with them from the factory, but any other style trailer does almost without exception. Kaufman, PJ, Big Tex, Load Trail all come with safety chains from factory. DOTs official stance is- If it comes with them from the factory, they better be hooked up. FTR I only have about 700k miles on my career but I also have gotten a ticket while pulling a fifth wheel car trailer for not having safety chains hooked up.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd