Stall speed

turboman1

Need to get my converter re-stalled as it is really tight from a previous setup I had on the truck. The new setup is a 64/67/14 over a S475 (1.32 A/R), 5x14's, 181/210, Marine style pistons (about 16:1 compression), and a mildly ported and matched head/manifold. Elevation is about 3000-4000 ft.

Truck is used as a daily driver now and will tow (~8000 lbs). Problem I have now is the converter is so tight I have to idle it at 1000 rpm's in park so it doesn't kill the motor when in drive with the AC on. It also makes stopping a little bit of a pain as it is always trying to push through the brakes.

What would be a good stall speed for this setup and still be a good street/tow truck? Was think about 1800-2000 rpm.

what convertor do you have now and whats the stall speed? do you know which stator was used?

im trying to select a good setup for my work truck now.

15 Blade Left Cut

So I found out the converter is a 15 blade left cut (I thought it was tighter than that, maybe a 10/20 or 800/300).

Only annoyance with it right now is that I have to use both feet when I come to a stop to keep the idle from dipping down to around 500 rpm. Anybody else having this happen with a 15 blade left cut?

Here is a video to get an idea of what it does when trying to boost launch. Does that act like a 15 blade left cut? Jumps to around 1500 rpm before any boost comes on.

[ame="http://s32.photobucket.com/user/turboman2425/media/MVI_0844_zpse24633d4.mp4.html"]MVI_0844_zpse24633d4.mp4 Video by turboman2425 | Photobucket[/ame]

Started to push through the brakes at around 10-15 psi, and I was standing on them pretty good.

Last edited:
Internal Clearance makes a difference too. I had all those issues , switched to a suncoast 1800 stall- much better.

My ATS was too tight I sent it to DPC he loosened it up a couple hundred but I wish I went to 17-1800. It flashes to 1500 now before it would barley pull 1250

i know this isn't part of you question but have you tried playing with your governor springs at all?

i know this isn't part of you question but have you tried playing with your governor springs at all?

I hope your not referring to me. I have chased smoke issues for yrs if 1 more person mentions the word "spring" im going to buy a new ford :lolly:

Mine idles at 500rpm or so when its in drive with the AC on. Been thinking of bringing that up a little, but dont want the engine fighting me when Im trying to come to a stop.
That converter is probably too tight for those twins. I have a 62 single and its a little on the low side especially with the cam. Moves the efficiency sweet spot up and the converter wants to make the motor work at a lower rpm.

Yep, played around with those a lot to try and get it to work like I wanted. Didn't fix my complaint but I think I got it about as good as I am going to get it right now.

Last edited:
I hope your not referring to me. I have chased smoke issues for yrs if 1 more person mentions the word "spring" im going to buy a new ford :lolly:

LOL no sorry the op!

Yep, played around with those a lot to try and get it to work like I wanted. Didn't fix my complaint but I think I got it about as good as I am going to get it right now.

ok, cause when i put the 5ks in mine i had to play with them for a weekend to get them right. that and adjusting the throttle linkage from carls apps kit sucks when its on the truck.

Back