alternator wont charge, trans wont shift

cwente

brought to you by drinkin
ok finished my swap a few days ago and everything worked as it should except alternator wouldnt charge. the transmission wanted to start in third but i could manually put it in second but not first. and no lock up or overdrive. well to fix the trans i wired up a torque converter lock up switch. now it starts in first as it should hits second and third but no overdrive. today i put an external regulator on the truck to fix the alternator and still no charge and truck wont shift out of first gear. any ideas? seriously considering settin it on fire...

also i used a 12v block and replaced my #53 since i already had the motor out. but no hole for crank sensor in the block

nope. Been there done that. you need an 98-00 block so your crank sensor can read off the crank tone ring. it will not read anything and wont charge

Last edited:
Nope.

Need a 01-02 cam gear, sensors, and ecm.

At this point it will be easier to make the truck think it is a 98 12v

block dont have to be 98.5-00 there same 98-02 STORM blocks ive even seen a late 97 12v with a STORM block got one in shop. even have a 98 12v 5-speed truck that i need to part out.

also i used a 12v block and replaced my #53 since i already had the motor out. but no hole for crank sensor in the block

Ah yes the 53 block distaster...I got 53'd as well (I have a 99 24v) and had a spare 12v block. Here is a pic of how we resolved the crank sensor issue for mine - Everything works like dream.

CrankSensorFixforthe12vblock.jpg

Ah yes the 53 block distaster...I got 53'd as well (I have a 99 24v) and had a spare 12v block. Here is a pic of how we resolved the crank sensor issue for mine - Everything works like dream.

CrankSensorFixforthe12vblock.jpg

I just did this same thing a couple months ago to two different trucks. One was a 2000 that got a 12v swapped in, and the other one was a 99 with an 01 engine in it.

Back