View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
BlackasCoal

Name: BlackasCoal
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Yet another 6.4 build in a Mega cab though

Really starting this to get some last pieces of advice before I send everything off to machining at the end of the month. I've done reaseach and read a lot but can't beat the experience here. So here is it.

Bought this Mega cab in the later part of last winter. Short story, it's been a mess. I'm embarrassed to say I trusted people too much and got bit. Was sold to me as a "long rod 6.4" but some electrical issues, that made me think I lost a cylinder, led me to tear the thing apart. Glad I did because I found it to be a decked block, standard length rod version of their 6.4. Along with some other corners cut. I know some would say I could have just ran it but I didn't feel comfortable with a 1300hp goal daily driver and probably higher here and there. So I got another block off Mark and the correct rods from Wagler. Ready to start over.

Here is my list so far. Tired to remember everything but my have missed some small things. I have everything except for the few last big items noted that I'm still waiting on to make a final decision. My mind set is, do everything to the block now so I don't have to open it up later to say, fly cut the pistons because I want to swap cams. Or because my goal changes and gets higher. If my budget runs high on the block work. I'm gonna start cutting things I wanted to do to the head down. Trying to stay below 7k for machine work and assembly.

Machine work and assembly is going to be down by Millers up in PA and I will be having the Transmission checked out and refreshed by Muldoons Diesel Performance because I don't trust what's suppose to in it.

Direction and advice are greatly appreciated.

Engine work
Clean and prepare block
Bore and hone main caps with studs
Bore for cam bushings through block
Install cam bushings
Resurface cylinder block
Bore & sleeve cylinder block back to 6.7 std bore 4.2

Crankshaft work
Rebalance crank shaft
Balance piston/rod/flexplate assemblies
Weld on crank shaft gear

Cylinder head work (Shelf already cut off for B&B intake) (Interior freeze plugs already tapped and plugged)
Clean and pressure check cylinder head
Resurface cylinder head
cut & o-ring
Port & Polish
3-angle valve job
Replace valve guides
Install over-sized valve seats
Install HD Inconel exhaust valves through-out (24)

Assembly
Full assembly of block and head
New piston rings
New HD cam shaft bushings
New HD crank shaft bearings
New HD rod bearings (cap end)
New seals and gaskets
New MLS head gasket

Provided (Already have/will have before dropping off)
ARP 625 head studs
ARP rocker arm studs
ARP 12mm main studs and girdle bolts
ARP damper bolts
Stock girdle
D&J block freeze plugs for side and front
Rear freeze plug block off plate
D&J 6.7 pistons, .100 fly cuts w/ tool steel wristpins (Don’t have, haven’t decided)?
6.7 fluid dampr
Wagler .080 longer billet rods (Paid for waiting on Wagler/4 week lead time)
Hamilton 188/220 cam
Hamilton #103 springs
Hamilton extreme duty push rods
Hamilton bronze cam retainer
Hamilton bolt on cam gear retainer
Titanium retainers ​
Keepers
5.9 crank shaft
Stock bore 6.7 block
6.7 head
Valve seals
Timing case
Oil pump
Rear main housing

Fuel (I do have an Industrial Injection 85% over pump, not sure I want to run it with the 12mm)
DDP 350% 03-04 5.9 injectors (Waiting on final piston decision)
ATS dual cp3’s
DDP 12mm cp3 w/ stock 5.9 cp3
Use 5.9 crossovers with the 5.9 injectors? I’ve heard 5.9 injectors could leak when using 6.7 crossovers…?

Air (What I have as of right now. Planning on upping to a S485 first then upping the secondary to a S465)
Firepunk compunds
ED S366/74/1.0 – Billet 6 wheel
ED S480/96/1.32 – Billet 7 wheel
Turbosmart Hyper-gate 45 WG (May not use)
Turbosmart BOV

Transmission
Goerend TC
Full billet Goerend 48RE
Suncoast 48re sfi billet flexplate
Freshening and installing Phat Shaft output
Tunning/Electronics
Gordon at Innovative Diesel
06-07 5.9 ECM
07.5 MCSB, Thuren/Carli/King, 35" Toyos MT's, 17" Methods, Miller’s Machine Shop 6.4 w/ Wagler long rods, QSB pistons, 188/220 cam, Ported/big valve head, Muldoons Phat shaft 48re w/ anteater, DDP 5.9 fuel, Firepunk 66/85, Firepunk EFI