Torque wrench

j-rod

Up to no good
What brands do you recommend for a large torque wrench? I need to acquire one for pinion nut torque and other fasteners that need over 150 ft lbs.

Obviously Snap-on and Mac come to mind, but I wasn't sure if there were any others that might be decent quality for less cost, as I am sure it would sit on a shelf more than it would get used.

Cdi

If you can find one used, even slightly damaged, you can have the snap on guy send it in to be calibrated and they will make it look like new.

Last edited:
Cdi

If you can find one used, even slightly damaged, you can have the snap on guy send it in to be calibrated and they will make it look like new.

x2 I have two CDIs and next to a Snap-on the only difference that I can tell is the Snap-ons have a different head (interchangeable with other snap-on wrenches). I've been very happy with mine, especially for the price.

And the bars are made by another company who's name i can't remember with the snapon head.

Edit: CDI it is. Lol

Monkey Fist Rage

Snap on

The most accurate is the digital. 2nd, would be the click style that you turn the whole bottom. 3rd, would be the flat kind with adjuster on the side. I would through the ones with big dial face in there around the 2nd most accurate but not 100% sure on that.

Snap on

The most accurate is the digital. 2nd, would be the click style that you turn the whole bottom. 3rd, would be the flat kind with adjuster on the side. I would through the ones with big dial face in there around the 2nd most accurate but not 100% sure on that.

The micrometer style are accurate as long as they are zeroed when not being used. That makes me question them some times.

Monkey Fist Rage

This is the one I own. Absolutely love it. I do use it atleast 4 times a week.

th.jpg

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=760213&group_ID=682069&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Ranges from 15 lbs to 250 lbs. Will do anything you will ever need to do with a torque wrench

Last edited:
It also counts how many bolts you have done. In case you lose track on torquing your head. Then it also has a crow foot setup. It will do more things then you can think of. I bought one and am done buying them again.

It has a nice lighting setup so you don't over torque, vibrates and beeps like the older tech wrenches.

I would look on eBay. Good deals on there. I did buy mine on the truck though the first week they came out.

Last edited:
Snap-On digital with angle spooked me. Was torquing rod and main bolts and after you finish the angle the equivalent ft lbs flashes on the display. It was giving me a reading of 95+ ft lbs for stock 5.9 rod bolts and I don't remember on the mains. For chits and giggles I tried taking a rod bolt up to 95 and stretched the heck out of it (as expected.)

I kinda scratched my head, put the digital back in the case, and haven't touched it since.

I have the snap on with the degrees and I love it the only thing I didn't like was the battery cap seems to never wanna stay happy for more then 6 months

Back