Everything I own leaks

Red Sleeper

Noticed my 4wd shifter getting a little loosie goosie in my 05, ordered bushings from Genoa’s and been looking at them for 2 weeks in the console.
So this evening I slid under my 05 to replace them. Ah, nice and firm shifter again.

I do my normal lay under the vehicle and gaze at all the underside, only to notice the tail shaft seal on the transfer case has a leak. Not bad, it doesn’t leave drops on the ground, but it slings ATF under the truck. Why?? I changed this seal out 15,000 miles ago and it leaks.

Same issue on my 91 2wd 5spd. I’ve changed that tail shaft seal twice now and it still leaks. Neither shaft has a groove, as I polish them with emery cloth when removed for good measure and a fresh surface.

So what’s the trick to stop this leak? Are my expectations too high for these older trucks?

The 05’s leakage. Sad part is I had the undercarriage very clean when I rebuild this truck.
ee038486cb57711ba966ef3765779afb.jpg

9a69bd4df2c22754ca35fb875443ef8c.jpg

I've seen axle wrap cause that. When the pinion points up, the slip yoke comes farther out than normal on the splines and slings a little.

I've seen axle wrap cause that. When the pinion points up, the slip yoke comes farther out than normal on the splines and slings a little.

This makes sense to me. I have mounts for traction bars but have not take the time to complete the bars and install. And I do not have rear air bags for load support.

The truck is regular with a goose neck trailer behind it. And recently a 30’ 5th wheel RV. With lots of stop and starts in traffic, I could see it happening being the 05 has a one piece drive shaft.

But my 91 has a 2pc drive shaft, and the forward piece shouldn’t torque if the axle wraps.

Did you install the seal? It looks like the weep hole is not facing the correct direction which would be down.

I had an issue with mine leaking after a rebuild only way to fix was keep trying new seals until one finally fixed the leak.

Did you install the seal? It looks like the weep hole is not facing the correct direction which would be down.

I had an issue with mine leaking after a rebuild only way to fix was keep trying new seals until one finally fixed the leak.

You make a valid point. I did install the seal, and likely did not pay attention when doing so for the weep hole.

I’ll pick up a new seal tomorrow from the vato parts and try again.

I can understand that. Greasing my u joint leaves way more crap than that haha

Then you are over greasing, obviously.

I listen closely when pumping grease into u-joints or linkage. When I hear the grease start to pop, that means there’s no more room in the joint for grease.

Sealed Spicer u-joints seems to hold up better and last way longer than X-brand grease-able joints.

I think just maybe everything I own leaks ha. I’ve greased a u joint or two, but have ran non serviceable joints in my off-road rigs. They still leave a mark after summer time highway runs.

Back