View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Holeshot

Name: Holeshot
Title: Diesel Sherpa
Member`s Gallery
My 12-valve runs fine with an OEM mechanical lift pump and a 1" copper pipe pickup tube in the tank with a modified sending unit assembly.

The 1" pipe necks down to 1/2" pipe where I sweat on a 1/2" elbow - and then I sweat a 1/2" sweat to MPT and then sweat a FPT to 3/8" barb fitting on there. It has been like this for over a year and I haven't had any issues with it. The truck fires off just fine no matter how long it has been sitting or how cold it is...so I don't have any leaks to make leakdown an issue.

Shortly after I got it back on the road with the BOMBed pickup mod, I ran the tank down to ~1/4 and it stumbled a bit when I stepped hard on the soot pedal. Since then, I don't let the tank get much below 3/8 full...
I think the 1" pipe moved around after install and it isn't in there straight...who cares...it works and only cost a few bucks instead of buying a whole new sending unit just because the OEM feed/return steel lines rotted out and were leaking.

Beers,

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_SendingUnit_small.JPG (21.6 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg New_SendingUnit_bottom_small.JPG (18.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg New_SendingUnit_sump_small.JPG (25.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg New_SendingUnit_under_small.JPG (18.3 KB, 157 views)

Project drivetrain: Cummins ISB 170 (3.9L HPCR), Allison LCT-1000, etc.

Daily driver: '99 Benz E300 turbodiesel. The ONLY vehicle to burnout in the Lee's Inn parking lot at Thunder in Muncie 2009.

Last edited by Holeshot; 08-09-2007 at 12:20 AM.