Compound Tuning

For those questioning my Boost numbers with the WH1C, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of people in the past have also found it hard to believe that I hit 10psi at 1200rpm... it has really good spool up, I don't know exactly what to attribute that to except maybe the short charge piping.

Honestly the PR ratio isn't ideal, but your drive to boost is well in line given your small secondary. I don't see any problem with those numbers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you are only 10psi difference drive to boost at those psi numbers driving up a hill in 4th, with only 1300? Egt. That doesn't sound bad at all. What is wrong with it you don't like? Is it not strong enough? I bet that truck would be quick and run good with a stock type manifold and a modern 64mm single charger.

Where did you get 1300 egt? I can get yo 1600 if it REALLY try.

I love the truck. Besides it being super loud in the cab. lol I only pulled a 12.699 at 113mph. I weigh 5600 lbs. 18psi 4wd boosted launch and I even chirped a little off the line with posi in the rear. I think the track wasn't prepped good because I only cut a 1.76 60ft. I'm having a governor/shift timing issue with the 47rh where I start to defuel at 3600rpm, lose Boost, then a little while later it shifts. But I still feel like I should see 11s... no?

It is a little smokey and with a bad haze (whole other thread dedicated to that issue) but I think that's just an injector/injection pump issue.

You really don't like my manifold do you Jason? Lol So you are thinkin swap the 60mm WH1C for a 64mm box turbo? What would that do to my idle to 2000rpm power?

I think something is holding you back, I've seen how simple and easy it was to get a stock type 12valve in the 11's. I've also seen where they had everything but didn't run enough timing and was holding back. Its a proven formula how to make power, your manifold isn't.

Hey I appreciate any help and ideas I can get. Lol The only real difference between a stock style manifold and mine is that mine isn't divided right? Maybe I'll throw a divider in there...

Sorry that it wasn't lighter out. I do have some better lighted video but I was letting out to get it to shift.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pamZ8yg3yZk"]Willys Tow Rig 12.699 - YouTube[/ame]

These are your numbers
Ide personally tighted the spring gate a few full turns and re-test. Get some more numbers so you can make a chart.

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You can play with the gate on the secondary if you want, might as well set it tight where it spools quick, what that set is made for. Towing.

I've made quite a few passes with 75mm primary under various secondaries. Your numbers don't look that bad.

I always pushed the 75mm into the low-mid 40s for best power (numbers depended on the DA), then set the secondary for the total boost. Numbers were normally 42-45/85-90, with 90-100 drive pressure. You're in that ballpark, maybe tighten the gate on the secondary a turn or two.

Your egts are high because of too much fuel. When I was running the 75 w/160hp pump, 5x16s worked best. When I switched to 5x18s, I had to move up to a 80mm primary. Keep in mind though, 1600* isn't good for towing, but it's not bad for a 1/4 mile pass. Much less, and you're leaving some hp on the table.

Thanks guys. Yea. Let me improve my fuel delivery so I know I'm getting consistent and accurate results. Then I'll probably tighten the secondary up a turn or 2. Eventually I plan on sending the pump out to Seth.

I thought that one would see more efficiency with a bigger injector and shorter injection event. Is this not the general agreement? This IS a tow rig and what I built it for, I've just been using the track to gauge the tuning and improvements; and of course it has become more and more addicting. I understand that 1600* for short times like a 1/4 mile pass isn't too bad and that when towing I will want to keep an eye on that. Do you guys think I can clean up the bad haze and slight smoke with 5x16s without the pintle and lift mods and still get into the 11s once I get my trans tuned?...

Here's a pass I made letting off the throttle to try to get it shifting where I wanted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_e1SzoZJfg"]Willys tow rig 12.701 - YouTube[/ame]

Put a plate in that thing....

80psi at 90psi drive isn't bad, just pull a little fuel to get the EGT's where you want, and I bet it doesn't slow down much...

Since it's a tow rig, keep the 60mm WH1C and forget ANY 64mm charger...you will not like towing with it. If you are towing, I would not go above a 60mm S300 based charger on any 12v...the better turbine wheel is the reason to switch, not for a bigger compressor. A 58ET/68/14 would be a SUPER top charger for your setup...but I don't think you're done with what you have yet...

IMHO,
Chris

Imo you have way to much injector to ever pull effectivly. No one makes 80psi pulling the horses down the interstate. Its more like 20 merging into traffic. Then 5-10 after your up to speed. The 18's may make lots more hp up top, however you dont want up top hp, you want clean acceleration with cool egts that boogies when you hit the skinny pedal.

Right????

Consider a couple sizes smaller injector if towing is truely in this truck future. A plate will take out top end fuel. Tighter afc springs will take out interstage fueling but your base fueling is a 5x18 off boost. It will always smoke and be hazy.

Last edited:
Well really I need to get my gooseneck hitch finished so I can hook up the 30ft trailer and see what EGTs even look like. Right now warm idle is about 350*, 35mph cruise is 600*, and 70mph cruise is about 800* at 10psi Boost. maintaining 70mph up a STEEP grade will net no more than 1050* with about 20psi Boost.

I do plan on getting injectors because these ones haze at idle so bad (which I believe is mostly because of the modded pintle and my out of balance pump). I just don't know if I want to try for some more straight forward non-moded and hopefully cleaner 18s or go 16s.

I'll tighten the wastegate up a turn or 2, put my sump and 1/2" lines in, get the trans shifting where I want it, and report back after Diesel Days at the stage strip this weekend.

Thank you for all your advice everyone.

I went to the track the other night and ran a 12.3 at 113mph. So I got some improvement, trans still isn't shifting where I would like; letting off the pedal to shift. Then on my last run I blew out an exhaust manifold gasket. Upon disassembly I found that I have a few cracks on the inside of the turbine housing? How serious is this?

93CF3806-B06B-436C-B779-0C9C363B374C_zpscqjsvpd7.jpg

AEFA4751-599C-414F-A6AE-5D685993832A_zpsour7b4xf.jpg

Back