2003-2004 Timing Pop

Rhett24

Ive seen many threads talking about the early 3rd gen trucks with timing pop issues. Non having a specific answer to fixing the problem. Has anyone else experienced the issue with their truck either while driving or standstill hammering on the throttle and get bad pooping noise. Its not rail pop have already data logged rail psi, all good there. What are yall's thoughts? Anyone else have the same problem and what did you do to fix the problem?

Last edited:
What are using for tuning? I switched to HP tuners when it first came out and was able to dial it back for driving. I can drive around it on the hot tune but it'll pop every time I mash on it.

I read somewhere the early ECMs don't respond as fast and that's what causes the pop. I don't know if that's true or not though.

I'm using hp tuning as well. It does it on every tune I have. I was able to dial it out by lowering with Udc but I don't have control over these tunes. If I ran I higher rail psi with a more advanced timing it would pop. If I lowered the rail in the upper rpm range 2200-3000 in higher loads it would stop. I could also achieve this by lowering timing in those rpm ranges. I would rather have lower timing and less power than popping. I've been told it's the design of the piston bowl on the early 3rd gen. The reason it pops is to much fuel being injected outside the bowl.

Like Les said, look into your pilot timing. There is no design issue with the early pistons, and the ECM's have no issues controlling. It can be tuned out.

That's nice to know. I'm glad to hear it's actually nothing abnormal. Thank you both.

To the OP keep us updated if you find something in your logs.

Back