Tranny issues

Schoust

Ok so it's been some time since I have posted up here on Comp. D. Just lurking these days.. I need to ask some opinions about what may have happened to my Sons Trucks trans. It's a 47rh built with some good parts from Gorand. It has his Tripple disk and valve body basically all of the recamended parts with the exception Of billet shafts. The trucks a 95 and makes around 500 hp plus..
We have not torn it down yet just pulled it today.
The imput shaft spins in your fingers and there was what looked like pulverized metal in the pan. He was driving along easy and when the truck locked up in third all of sudden nothing. What do you all think happened? Betting the input is gone. What do you think..

I would guess input. Shouldn't spin really easy in your fingers. Probably broke or split the drum apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, anything past ~450hp with a TC that actually locks hard should have a billet input. I'm cure you sheared it.
The good news is the stock shafts just snap and can be replaced. The billet ones are a nightmare if they break!

You'll likely want a billet input, have your TC cut and cleaned, and have an overhaul on the 47RH.

Yes. Definitely go back through EVERYTHING! I was an idiot and just tore mine down for a quick look, replaced the shaft, and put it back together. Didn't even take the valvebody apart. Well, a chunk of shaft had floated up the TCC valve exhaust port and caused the spool to jam half locked. Burned up the torque converter I just had refreshed after work broke the shaft.

Moral of the story. Go through everything, no matter how mundane it may seem.

Last edited:
Back