pos transmission

gwhammy

My 02 took a fit of jumping in and out of od and lockup. Then it quit and worked perfect. Then a couple weeks ago it had been working perfect then I took off and it wouldn't shift past second so I stopped shut it off and then it wouldn't shift out of first. I parked it till today when I needed to move it so I took it down the road and it shifted fine. I didn't go far enough to go into od or lockup but it hit second and drive perfect. What would be the deal? I'm sick of these transmissions but I want to fix it before I sell it I think.

How many miles is on the transmission? Sounds quite a bit like a fluid pressure issue (low pressure). If you are below 100,000; i'd look into a filter change and some Lucas. Check to see if the trans cooler lines are in good condition and not crush or calapsed.

Trans probably doesn't have 10,000 miles on it. It's been in to a lot last time with broken input shaft and was completely freshened. I thought about changing the filter to see what's going on inside.

Yeah, <10,000 miles on it. Need to see if any metal is in the pan. Is the transmission in that 12v swapped F350? Might need to check your wiring connections on the controller and transmission.

It's a 02 dodge I've owned for twenty years. 205000 miles total. Both the fords I have use the 5r110.

Can you scan for codes or look at trans data while driving?
overdrive cycling with lockup could be noise from alternator or tps
first gear only could be no power to the trans
1-2 shift only could be bad gov pressure sensor or a cranky one.
You got a few things going on there, Troubleshooting this new stuff all starts with the electric wrench....

What's up with the fluid pressure?

Idk if anything is wrong with the fluid pressure; from what gwhammy described it sounded like (in my opinion) a low pressure issue. Low pressure can cause delayed/ no shifts and OD & lock up engagement issues. If you dont have a code reader, a visual inspection of the filter and cooler lines can help solve the issue or eliminate possibilities.

I’d slow way down and not jump to conclusions given it’s a late second gen. Test the batteries, check your grounds and clean them well. It takes very little for those trucks to act retarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batteries are almost new, put new solder on battery terminal ends on all the cables last year. It's worked perfect since the last episode. Haven't been able to get it in a shop as they are really busy.

I recommend cleaning all the grounds. Chassis grounds, ecm ground, etc.

Bad or funky alternators will also throw them for a loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back