47RH/47RE Info/Do it yourself thread

Thanks for putting all this info together everybody...will come in handy when I have to replace my direct clutches soon and I cannot afford to pay someone to do it.

I'm about midway through my build. This, like I said earlier, is NOT rocket science.
One thing I did notice was in my rebuild kit (stock style clutches), some are a dark gray color, while the rest are the regular tan. Anyone know why?
I am in the process of building the clutch packs. I will be contacting my friend with a machine shop to mill some pressure plates to fit more clutches. I received one extra clutch for each pack, but had to reuse 1 steel (they were all in good shape anyway). I want 900hp to the ground in my drag car, so this should be a good test to see how well the stock style clutches hold up. I did sand all the steel plates which Bponci recommends here: Trans overhaul - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I'm about midway through my build. This, like I said earlier, is NOT rocket science.
One thing I did notice was in my rebuild kit (stock style clutches), some are a dark gray color, while the rest are the regular tan. Anyone know why?
I am in the process of building the clutch packs. I will be contacting my friend with a machine shop to mill some pressure plates to fit more clutches. I received one extra clutch for each pack, but had to reuse 1 steel (they were all in good shape anyway). I want 900hp to the ground in my drag car, so this should be a good test to see how well the stock style clutches hold up. I did sand all the steel plates which Bponci recommends here: Trans overhaul - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Where did you get your rebuild kit?

I didn't sand mine. Should I?

I haven't tried sanding the steels, but just looking at the wear on some of my used steels, I'd venture to say sanding will help them bite more at first but after 40-50 passes, the clutches will polish out the sanding marks in the steels and you'll be left with smooth "wet honed" polished looking steel surfaces.

Maybe if you hit them with some 60 grit paper you could cut deep enough scratches to last the life of the clutch pack???

I haven't tried sanding the steels, but just looking at the wear on some of my used steels, I'd venture to say sanding will help them bite more at first but after 40-50 passes, the clutches will polish out the sanding marks in the steels and you'll be left with smooth "wet honed" polished looking steel surfaces.

Maybe if you hit them with some 60 grit paper you could cut deep enough scratches to last the life of the clutch pack???

I was thinking that myself. The only thing is, can you make them too scratched where they cause you some problems. Bponci said he blasts them which I'm sure etches them real good, but how deep does that go? Also, since you mentioned it, you may be right that they eventually polish up after some heavy use. I'm going to find out!

I bought my performance parts from PATC (band lever, servo cover, rear servo, billet flexplate, accumulator). I found a fairbanks shift kit on ebay for $35 shipped (half of PATC price), and I got my rebuild kit from a local trans supplier. If I find the link to his ebay store, I'll post it.

Back