5.9 build

Hee-haw 4

DIRT POOR !!!!
Ok , im new at this so here it goes . Im ready to get statred on my 5.9 12v and im looking for opinions on what to use. Im building a 2.6 truck and have a general idea on what im gonna do : Gonna start with a 13mm pump , 5x18 injectors , rods , pistons , hamilton cam , industrial inj. turbo , balance stock crank , 110# springs as well as head work , dual intake horn , and so on .

I know you guys have used these parts and im looking for input on the better brands . I see all the glamorous ads in magazines and internet and wanna be sure im spending my hard earned money on the best parts . By the way for the guy that says try " searching " for it , i already have !!!

The parts you buy depend on your budget. Figure out how much you have to spend. And figure out how much everything is gonna cost, then add a few grand on top of whatever number you come up with. Then buy the parts you can afford. Tackling a build without a budget in mind is a good way to fukk yourself, unless you got money for days.

I live in central ky . Im not looking to spend 20k all in one day , but im looking to get a parts list on paper so i can have an idea of what to buy and where to buy. This will be a slow build because im gonna assemble everything myself with the assistance of three of my closest buddies who know how to build engines. I have no certain time line so time wont be an issue .

It takes a little time but I put together a list of what I wanted for my puller build and just waited for them to come up in the classifieds here and made some good buy's on the major share of what I needed. Also Mumau diesel on here, Jeff ( Snedge ) has great prices on anything Cummins you will need. I have spent almost a year getting everything I needed or wanted but it has been worth the wait. You might also want to look at the seller buyer feed back forum on here, I will say though everyone I have dealt with on CompD has been top notch. Good luck with the build.

I might be selling my truck seperate from motor, id sell my motor has 6 hooks on it and some runtime.. turn ket for 24,500 with harts hx60. billet rods all the goodies.

Teddybear has an engine for sale.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147407

Last edited:
13mm pump with 5x.018s you will almost choke the fuel out put. I was told with mine im doing to use at aleast a 5x.020 and bigger.

I'm going to use Ron as an example again, 1200hp+ with a ~ 4.8LPM injector and a 13mm P7100 over 900cc.

Now a 5x0.018" usually flows ~ 4.7-5.0LPM depending on nozzle type, and a 2.6" truck typically uses 600cc or less, now why would it "choke out"? I'm not saying that a larger nozzle woudln't necessarily benefit, but it is not fair to assume that something in the size mentioned won't work.

Ok ... Ive decided on 5x.020 ddp's @ 4,000 rpm .. What turbo will give the best results at this rpm ? Im not going to run over 4k because of engine longevity . Buddy told me to run an industrial s375 . Opinions ??????

Ok ... Ive decided on 5x.020 ddp's @ 4,000 rpm .. What turbo will give the best results at this rpm ? Im not going to run over 4k because of engine longevity . Buddy told me to run an industrial s375 . Opinions ??????

you will have the fuel to run a good size Turbo. S475 would be fine if on a budget. I would stay with a 87mm ex wheel but might have to run a little smaller housing if you only want to spin 4000. There are way better options out there but for a budget it would be good.

Edit - do you want to spin 4k down the track or only hit 4k coming off the line?

from phone

475 from e.d billet wheel 96 turbine with 1.10 housing. gear it to run 4000 down track and it will be a good combo

Back