Does the tipm play a role in transmission control?

steinie88

Truck is a 2006 with 120k miles. Some background first, the trans was rebuilt 12k ago by me using bigblues write up and an atsg manual. The valve body and rebuild kit were purchased from Muldoons and the torque converter is a dpc triple reman that I had sitting on the shelf from another truck. As far as fluid goes after a bit of reading on here I decided to use tractor fluid and type f in the transmission. Now the problem is I'm having an issue with the torque converter locking up when trans is shifted into drive and reverse and killing the engine. It's only happening intermittently though. At the same time the truck is displaying symptoms of a failing tipm such as randomly honking and flashing lights and erratic door locks. Both of these issues have cropped up in the past week. I am wondering how much control the tipm has over the transmission? Could it be causing the random lock up issue as well or am I just getting hit with a double whammy?

Truck is a 2006 with 120k miles. Some background first, the trans was rebuilt 12k ago by me using bigblues write up and an atsg manual. The valve body and rebuild kit were purchased from Muldoons and the torque converter is a dpc triple reman that I had sitting on the shelf from another truck. As far as fluid goes after a bit of reading on here I decided to use tractor fluid and type f in the transmission. Now the problem is I'm having an issue with the torque converter locking up when trans is shifted into drive and reverse and killing the engine. It's only happening intermittently though. At the same time the truck is displaying symptoms of a failing tipm such as randomly honking and flashing lights and erratic door locks. Both of these issues have cropped up in the past week. I am wondering how much control the tipm has over the transmission? Could it be causing the random lock up issue as well or am I just getting hit with a double whammy?

I surely have never seen a TIPM cause a transmission issue. Your other issues for sure yes, but that would be a new one. The TIPM basically is a BCM, not serving any drivetrain functions at all I believe.

had this same issue once with a new 48re, swapped a new set of od/lock up solenoids in it and it fixed it.

10-4. I just found it to be quite the coincidence. I forgot to add that I have no codes and the fluid looks fine. i found a few threads that talk about disconnecting the plugs on the transmission amongst other things so I'm going to give that a whirl and see what happens.

had this same issue once with a new 48re, swapped a new set of od/lock up solenoids in it and it fixed it.

Alright, I think before I do anything I'll drop the pan just to have a look and swap out the solenoids with the dnj solenoids I've got from an old 48re.

Your sure it's the torque converter locking and not that it's trying to grab two gears at the same time? I didn't think you could achieve lockup in reverse due to the way the valvebody is ported.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Alright, I think before I do anything I'll drop the pan just to have a look and swap out the solenoids with the dnj solenoids I've got from an old 48re.

If you drop the pan, try backing down the main pressure regulator setting with a 3/16 allen wrench. I don't think you'll see any improvement with a DNJ solenoid swap. Maybe try a higher flowing older style filter from a 97' or older model 47re or 47rh.

Ended up being the lock up solenoid. Thanks for the help fellas. Now I'm gonna disappear back into the shadows and resume my role as Comp D's most dedicated lurker.

Back