View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
me78569

Name: me78569
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Your confusing atomization with intensity, a quality nozzle with quality orifice finish will atomize very well even at 200BAR.
Do some 6 x .13 atomize fuel as efficently at say, 300 bar, as 6 x .011? Or is there is a reduction in how well the injector atomizes fuel under low load as injector size increases?

Why were my injectors at ppump pop pressure so much more smokey than the injectors set at proper vp44 pop pressures?

My assumption, of what you will say, is that the DFI nozzles are low quality causing it to be subject to issues when pop pressure is incorrect?

That is a perfectly acceptible answer, I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Idle smoke is usually caused by the nozzle type and/or cone angle. Opening pressure set too high will do as you said earlier; cause loping and stalling issues. The fact of the matter is the higher the opening pressure, the duration event is shortened and overall less fuel is injected.
offidle smoke is what I am talking about, in the 900-1200 rpm range. That's the region where it seems that vp trucks struggle to clear smoke on bigger injector trucks. Again I am not talking about in the pure HP world, I am talking about trying to make a vp44 truck run as clean as a CR truck at a higher hp than we could a few years ago with control of the fueling and timing.

So if I am not encountering any issues with stalling or loping is there really a downfall that I am unaware of? Considering my goals are not all out power. It wouldn't bother me if I lost 50 hp as a result of pop pressure being to high. consider also I have wife that would not be happy with spending money on the POS that is my truck hahaha.

Thanks for the insight it is helpful into the situtation. I am sure you are sick of hearing about it by now haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
something like every 10 BAR is minus 1 degree of timing ish.
I see no evidence to support this. I can set my idle timing to whatever I want on command. The truck could care less between the 330 bar and the 305 bar injectors. After watching / datalogging timing commands for the last year my ears can tell a 2* difference that these injectors should have according to the above, but I just dont hear the difference. That's gonna sound hard to believe, but I can reliably tell where timing is at by sound now.

Do you have evidence to support this claim of 1* per 10 bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post

personally I like the benefits of being a few BAR over stock pressures. things just seem to work a bit better. but going 30,40,50 BAR over OE specs is going to have ill effects on how the system works.
Can you go into more detail on this statement? How did you define where the "limit is" for upping injection pressure? What made you think "this is better" but that is "worse" ?

I completely understand quality trumping all, I was more curious about issues as a result of upping pop pressure. Is increasing pop pressure on low quality injectors a cheap why to help with idle haze, offidle smoke, and the other issues that seem to go hand in hand with cheap big injectors?