View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Foster#17

Name: Foster#17
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
99 Cummins won't start?? Even with starting fluid

I've got a 99 and can't get the thing to run. Bought it for 500 bucks because the guy had no knowledge for diesels. It had ran when he parked it and it sat for a few years then wouldn't run. I figured for sure it was the injection pump because it threw several codes for it. I tried to get it to fire on starting fluid but it wouldn't. Tried several times and nothing, not even a sputter. So then it had me thinking maybe the guy melted pistons in the thing. Took the head off and the pistons look like new!! Very little wear in the cylinders, good crosshatch, no scrapes, nothing!! Head gasket seemed good, no coolant in oil or anything. didnt appear to be any blowby coming out the oil cap or breather when cranking. So what's going on here? Just a bad can of ether or what?? I was just trying to get the thing to fire for sure before I go buying an injection pump!