water in the rear end

autoferret

Hey!

never had to deal with this before but it seems that I have water in my rear end fluid.

I'm doing a break job so this is how i found it.

Can i just drain for a few hours and refill or am I in for a full rebuild of the rear end?

Nick

Look at the bearings, if they don’t look rusty or pitted, I would buy some cheap diff fluid, run it for a couple hundred miles and then change it.

Couldn't a guy just flush it with diesel? Fill , drive around the block, drain, refill.

That’s how we used to get water out of ATV engines after we would drown them out on accident. One fill of diesel and two oil changes would get it like new. If you just did oil changes it would take 5-7 sometimes.

How watery is the oil? Is it just a little milk color or straight up chocolate milk?

If you put diesel in it I’d just put the axle up on jack stands and “drive” it slow for a couple miles, then drain.

Last edited:
Had that before on an off-road truck. It didn't see much on-road mileage so I just drained the water and filled with oil. Not long after, the rear end sounded pretty 'grindy'. Just swapped the axle for a junkyard one and called it a day.

Back