Pre-Oiling 6BT, lots of oil coming from behind pump?

Begle1

I pre-oiled my new engine with a hand drill attached to an old oil pump, with the idler gear pushed out so I could spin the pump without spinning the engine. I built pressure and saw oil where I was supposed to, but I was surprised by the amount of oil that squirted out from right behind the oil pump over towards the front gear train. Seems like most of that oil would end up getting dumped right into the front gear case.

Is that normal or did I miss a gasket or something?

"Staking" as in deforming the metal around the hole with a chisel to prevent the galley plug from easily coming out.

Last edited:
Did you install the new pump according to the FSM instruction? There is a specific sequence/procedure in pulling up the bolts.

That is what I do. However, with or without staking, I wanted to ensure you have the galley plugs in place. Did it build pressure on a mechanical gauge at the oil pressure sensor port?

Manual didn't mention that.

- Install pump. Tighten the oil pump mounting bolts in two steps and in sequence as shown.
- Tighten to 44in/lbs in a cross pattern: Top/Right first, Bottom/Left second, Top/Left third, and finally the Bottom/Right.
- Tighten to 18ft/lbs in the same sequence.

-> The back plate on the pump seats against the bottom of the bore in the cylinder block. When the pump is correctly installed, the flange on the pump will not touch the cylinder block.

You may have the pump slightly cocked in the bore thus, it's leaking in the gap produced between the pump's back and the bore of the cylinder block.

Last edited:
- Install pump. Tighten the oil pump mounting bolts in two steps and in sequence as shown.
- Tighten to 44in/lbs in a cross pattern: Top/Right first, Bottom/Left second, Top/Left third, and finally the Bottom/Right.
- Tighten to 18ft/lbs in the same sequence.

-> The back plate on the pump seats against the bottom of the bore in the cylinder block. When the pump is correctly installed, the flange on the pump will not touch the cylinder block.

You may have the pump slightly cocked in the bore thus, it's leaking in the gap produced between the pump's back and the bore of the cylinder block.

I just snugged the prelube pump down. Is oil not supposed to gush out from behind the oil pump,?

It did build pressure when I spun it with a hand drill, I don't know what RPM I was spinning it at though.

Of course when I install the real pump it's not like I'm going to be able to look at it with the engine running and see if it's got an extra gusher or not. If it makes pressure I'm not going to know any better.

Back