Problems with pot. mod

bateman

Second 5k potentiometer I’ve tried. Moved it slow as I can while driving and it just won’t adjust. I get lockup up at 50mph (35’s and 4.10’s). There is zero adjustability. Turned to far left or right of course results in no OD or lockup.

‘95 truck. 47rh. Temp sensor has resistor. Speed sensor in diff. seems to work fine. Truck drives fine with the tps plugged up.

Here’s the part that really threw me off. I have to turn that knob, to some degree, every time I crank the truck. Otherwise, no OD or lockup.

Any ideas? I feel like I’m probably missing something obvious. I’m pretty sure putting a meter on the pot. Is going to be the first answer. Would have done that already had I not left my meter in the boat. I’ll run to the lake today and test the voltage if needed.

Check pot output voltage, and that it's wired/pinned as V+, Wiper, V-. Some are not built with that order.

The diff sensor should only be abs. Trans shifting only rely on the OSS on the trans. Check that the wiring isn't damaged at the OSS.
I would also get a scan tool and see what the PCM displays for tps input.

I'm curious if a slide pot would be easier to adjust. I will link one if I can find it on Mouser.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Why not just install Switches for OD and Lockup? No need for FMVB and you can command whenever you want....

Thank you biggy. My meter went berserk when we tried it. Guess it got water logged. Going to buy another today. Is 1.2v what these trucks see at idle? I don’t necessarily need a ton of adjustment, but if something isn’t working like it should I want to know why. I’ll report back with some proper readings.

Mudn, I don’t want to hit two switches every time I stop or get up to speed. I’m actually looking for some switches locally as I wanted to do that mod as well. But not stand alone switches. I want the truck to shift and all that on its own for daily driving and then be able to command when I want to play.

Main reason for the pot was reliability on road trips as my tps has been finicky in the past. 310k on the factory part as far as I know. Don’t want to be stranded in Florida. Well, maybe I do actually lol.

Let us know the wiper output voltage when you get your hands on a meter, I think something must be connected wrong or you got a bum part.

Let us know the wiper output voltage when you get your hands on a meter, I think something must be connected wrong or you got a bum part.

I bet you’re right. 2 in a row is not crazy when we are talking Chinese parts. Should have probably bought from Genos instead of eBay.

Back