View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Dutchy93

Name: Dutchy93
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
855 cummins help

i have an 855 400 big cam, cpl 1211. it has a holset htb3 turbo and as far as i can tell it is stock. my goal is anywhere from 550-600 hp. The pump is coming off, the injectors out and they are being sent to a friends shop in toronto. My big question/ concern is the rest of the motor. i'm not worried about cooling as the trucks GVW is 58000 pounds, absolute max and i have top to botton redone the low flow cooling, it never even kicked the fan on the last 2 summers at 40 degree heat. the truck runs the stock air to aftercooler set up and ive read an n14 manifold will fit, but is it really worth it just for an intercooler? will it realistically make any difference? My current turbo will only push 21 psi on the manifold pressure gauge, i havent got at it with the feeler gauge to see if its in spec according to my manual yet but the almighty internet has said these turbos are good well past 600hp? Timing is realistically the scariest bit for me, i have been reading my book and i understand the cam follower gaskets help advance or retard injector timing, is this something i will need to change? I know i will be raising the fuel supply with the pump/ injectors but will timing need to change to save the cam shaft? My friend who is a die hard cat guy but a wiz with motors will be helping me through this as this is my first real "motor" job, the heads are coming off for gaskets, the front cover as well as all the seals are shot so if i had to re time the motor to make it live i just want to know before i slam it back together. Any input or help or past experience is greatly appreciated, thanks