Good Single for Double Duty

smoken02

I’m just kicking around ideas. “Stock” truck pulling class around here allows single chargers with a 2.6 inlet that are “stock” appearing. Other than no aftermarket head or block that’s about it for the engine rules. What would be a good single turbo that would fall into this category and still be good for the drag strip? If I were to go this route. Fueling mods would be done accordingly. Cam too.

How picky are they? By stock appearing, would it need to look like an hx35? Or will they let any smaller holset slide?

Edit: Guess I should have asked what year truck, I was just going off of your avatar

Last edited:
JEB modern machine, infinite performance, north american turbo, tater built turbo or stainless diesel are who I would get a hold of.

I have a 67/67 tater built turbo, he sells a 63.5 / 68.5 he351 that is in a stock appearing class. Dyno numbers are north of 850 on firepunk dyno's.

How picky are they? By stock appearing, would it need to look like an hx35? Or will they let any smaller holset slide?

Edit: Guess I should have asked what year truck, I was just going off of your avatar

Oops the year would help wouldn’t it. Truck is a 94 12v auto but with a 180 pump. They aren’t real picky from what I’ve seen so far. Any s300 based turbo would probably be fine. 2.6 inlet of coarse.

JEB modern machine, infinite performance, north american turbo, tater built turbo or stainless diesel are who I would get a hold of.

I have a 67/67 tater built turbo, he sells a 63.5 / 68.5 he351 that is in a stock appearing class. Dyno numbers are north of 850 on firepunk dyno's.

Your dyno numbers are that or the 63.5/68.5? That’s more than I had expected.

So would this need to be a custom turbo? A box stock turbo like one of the sxe’s wouldn't be enough. Is 700hp a realistic number?

I built several trucks 12vs similar to those rules that local common rails are yet to beat . 12vs make good power but make performance shops and the aftermarket a lot less money .

Back