Cordless impact opinions/differences

I don't have a Mac guy LOL

But does that mean dewalt makes macs tools?

600 is a ton for a cordless impact. IR is 460 and Milwaukee Fuels are 425ish. 150 can get me a cordless grease gun without batteries.

If the Mac uses DeWalt batteries, it sounds to me like they come out of the same factory...

I used Snap on exclusively since they made a cordless one. Kept hearing how great the Milwaukee ones were so when it came time to get a few new ones that's what I went with.

The 18v 1/2" ones are rated at 600 ft lbs max and they could not break a bolt loose that a 2 year old Snap on rated at 450 would spin off with ease. Salesman came to the site with 2 of the new Milwaukee 18v Fuel 3/4" rated at 1200ft. Lbs. Tightened down a 5/8" bolt with the Snap on and it took over a minute of constant hammering to back the nut off the bolt. About 3 seconds of hammering and the Snap on spun the nut off with no issues. The Salesman got pretty upset when I told him I think they meant 1200 in. lbs.

The new Snap on CT7850 is rated at 700 ft. Lbs and is a monster. 2 times the power of the lesser brands. I paid right around $1200 for two sets from my dealer. We run a lot of larger sized Mega-lug fitted piping and use impacts for hours daily.

Not that it's directly related to ANY post here, but SOCKETS help make a difference, as well.
The harder and denser they are, the better they transfer torque.

Mark.

I've had a Makita 18v LiIon hex drive for about 3 yrs in my semi truck. It has done everything I needed it to. I also carry a 1/2" air impact for big stuff since I obviously have a good air compressor. As for other stuff, I used it exclusively to change a rear main in an NV4500 pickup once FWIW.

Last edited:
Snap on. Bought my first 3/8 7 yrs ago when I went into field service. Last Christmas it died snap on rebuilt it for $100 and I bought another one while it was down. I don't even Cary an air impact on my truck anymore. Use it all day 5 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Milwaukee M18 Fuel just bit the dust at 1 1/2 years.

Just picked up the new Makita XT248 kit, coworker has one and I really like it.

Did you get your Milwaukee warrantied? I know they are 3 years. I also heard that the first few had some flaws. But that's typical with about anything new these days

I demoed a Milwaukee m18 set they told me to try for a month because the set was on sale and I didn't make it two weeks and I went back to my dewalt and paid more to have it. Lithium ion is the way to go. I personally use the 1/4" hex shank impacts for around the shop because of the versatility of bits but mainly use 3/8" impact ready socket adapters. They put out about 45 ft lbs checked with torque wrench and anything more than that we use air anyhow. Great products or they wouldn't be where they are....

How does a cordless impact compare to a air impact? We run our snap on impacts at 150-170 psi so there's a decent amount of power. I used a titanium series IR 1/2 today at 250 psi changing out blades with 3/4 bolts. Quite powerful indeed.

But a cordless impact would be nice if it would work.

Sent from my LG pad

How does a cordless impact compare to a air impact? We run our snap on impacts at 150-170 psi so there's a decent amount of power. I used a titanium series IR 1/2 today at 250 psi changing out blades with 3/4 bolts. Quite powerful indeed.

But a cordless impact would be nice if it would work.

Sent from my LG pad

They have great power (I don't have any numbers off the top of my head) but if you are hammering on them for a while they will die reasonably fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can not compare a air drive to a cordless. It's like comparing a cordless drill to an electric one. Even a $50 electric drill will make the best cordless ones seem weak.

For example the "Heavy Duty" version 1/2" drive air impact from Snap-On is rated at 1,190ft/lbs Bolt Break Away power and thier cordless impact is rated at 325ft/lbs Bolt Break Away Power.

For example the "Heavy Duty" version 1/2" drive air impact from Snap-On is rated at 1,190ft/lbs Bolt Break Away power and thier cordless impact is rated at 325ft/lbs Bolt Break Away Power.

My new Snap on 1/2" cordless have a 700 ft. Lb break away rating.

I just picked up a m12 fuel hex driver for small fasteners and I will tell you that it is way better than the Snapon one. I went on the truck to compare it to their 7.4v hex driver and it was night and day. Both were rated the same but my little impact driver took lug nuts off of a mk3 Jetta. It was impressive needless to say. But they also have a 5 year tool/3 year battery warranty compared to snapons 1year for both tool and battery warranty.

Back