68RFE vs. AS69RC (AISIN)

I've grossed up to 28,500lbs with this truck and put about 10,000 miles loaded and unloaded on it. So far, it's been great. The 45hp tow tune seems to work just fine loaded or unloaded. No funky shifts or flares that I've noticed. And, unlike my Duramax trucks that could never wanted to lug loaded, this thing will pull down to 1200rpm before it downshifts. Hell, sometimes the land will level out and it'll pull back through the RPM's from 1200rpm and then upshift.

My only complaint is that the tow/haul and exhaust brake buttons are on the lower dash next to the cup holders. I really would prefer it was on the end of the shifter stalk or even towards the cluster on the dash somewhere.

Legally it's not an Allison, but it's damn close and behind a nice torquey 6.7L Cummins. I don't regret buying a 6.7L/Aisin vs a labor intensive Cummins/Allison swap into a Ford. It does exactly what I need it to.

[EDIT] I did notice alot of dead pedal [especially coming from a 12v] when I first got it, but I don't notice it as much anymore. Not sure if I subconsciously work around it or not. However, it is something that when it does happen, it's when I'm trying to jet out and merge into traffic. I would like to find a solution to that. I can also tell there is TQ management going on, not sure how much, but you definitely know what it's off and putting power to the ground. This thing scoots for a relatively stock truck when it's locked up and rolling.

Last edited:
Who's tuning? This crap I've got from Hardway sucks with any kind of weight behind you. Surprisingly it's worse than stock. Unlocked to 45mph, in 4th gear at 30 mph, no exhaust brake unless you're running 45 mph. Absolutely trash for towing anything more than a yard trailer. Customer service has been worse. Asked to get stock shift strategy back over a week ago with no result
Just about as pissed as I can be with the whole situation. Really wouldn't be as upset about it if I hadn't told them upfront I tow heavy regularly. Guess that detail was conveniently forgot. Honestly forgot how stressful it is to cowboy 13 head of bred cattle down 5 miles of an an 8% without an exhaust brake. Got to remember that tonight. Those 'member berries aren't very tasty.

Last edited:
I tuned a 13 with his tuning and it left alot to be desired.
Member berriesLOL i had forgot all about that.

Whats the relearn procedure on one of the aisins? Have a friend whos getting ready to delete and tune his 19

I actually halfway liked what I had before the re-tune for the Revmax. Pretty sure it was just stock strategy with the pressures turned up. Had its issues but at least I could put it's head to work down low & it didn't feel like the truck was neutered.
Not sure about the relearn on the Aisin, I'm running a 68rfe. Stocker made it 133k pulling the exact same loads I'm pulling now without much issue. Now I'm at 3k unlocked in 4th, trans running hot & praying I don't have something let loose up front. Didn't know they'd cracked the code on the '19's yet. Glad to hear it.

Really like the way it pulled. Right up to the point where it broke the torque converter bolts or flex plate. Not sure, but here I sit watching the cars go by.

Last edited:
For those interested. I have a 14 with the aisin and I absolutely love it. Has a weird 1-2 flare shift that I am told is common but past that I love it. I am 26-28k total with race truck and trailer and set the cruise going up every hill on this side of the country.
I can tell it has dead pedal at time compared to a mechanical engine. So it knows how to keep itself alive. And for that I am happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m waking this back up...

For 68’s who’s trans tuning is best? I’ve ridden in 3 different ones and I know out of the 3 who I prefer as far as feel when I’m just driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For 68’s who’s trans tuning is best? I’ve ridden in 3 different ones and I know out of the 3 who I prefer as far as feel when I’m just driving.

H&S is the most copied.....

That says enough.

I had a 2014 ram with a 68 and had PPEI tuning at first. The trans tuning was a lot worse than stock. It would almost never downshift and exhaust brake, it would just coast. I had then send me 4 or 5 different tunes to make it better and all of them were worse or the same. Told them I wanted a refund and got tunes from HPP. Their trans tuning was awesome. Anytime you let off it would lockup and exhaust brake until around 13-1400 rpm, then it would downshift and do it again. Also the shift pattern while accelerating was much improved with a lot less gear hunting when going around corners at low speeds

H&S is the most copied.....

That says enough.
How do you know this? All it says is that tuners are lazy, if it's even true.

Last edited:
Interesting... my truck has PPEI in it right now. While I won’t say I love it, I don’t feel it’s bad by no means.
Haven’t towed with it yet though and I don’t typically use the exhaust brake and as soon as I get a chance I’m pulling that POS turbo off and going s400.

I’ve ridden and drove PPEI, GDP, and Firepunk.

Firepunk is hands down my preferred but I don’t know if it’s worth paying to redo it all.
I’ve not found any hard evidence on anything that says PPEI has caused failures so I may just leave it.

I had a 2014 ram with a 68 and had PPEI tuning at first. The trans tuning was a lot worse than stock. It would almost never downshift and exhaust brake, it would just coast. I had then send me 4 or 5 different tunes to make it better and all of them were worse or the same. Told them I wanted a refund and got tunes from HPP. Their trans tuning was awesome. Anytime you let off it would lockup and exhaust brake until around 13-1400 rpm, then it would downshift and do it again. Also the shift pattern while accelerating was much improved with a lot less gear hunting when going around corners at low speeds

Update on this. Mine does the same thing as far as tow haul and exhaust brake unless you’re in manual mode then it completely changes everything so that’s a bit different to get used to.

Has anyone done a fluid/filter service on their Aisin yet? I was going to do one with the next oil change. Seems Mobile 3309 is the same as Mopar's Aisin fluid. I'm planning a Mopar gasket and filter as well.

Looking for tips or advice on procedure and how many quarts I need.

I have confirmed That 3309 Is the correct OEM Lube. 2013 Cross member extremely tight , Mine is so tight I needed to loosen the Rear Trans Mount bolts and raise it 1 3/4 inch.

You can Reuse the OEM Gasket if careful, I would have Backup if needed.

What's Odd My 2016 has enough room and NO need to lift the Trans. I also install Fumoto Valve. Its been on for 6 Years, I like it, Its much easier to get Good sample for analysis when running.

The fluid amount will change according to How you service the trans 4 to 7 QT's

Attachments

• Aisin valve - Copy.jpg
    Aisin valve - Copy.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for that info TCDiesel, I'm gonna order the stuff and do service on it next week. How are you doing yours, just drop the pan, or should I pull the plug on a converter or something as well?

I've never sampled anything from anything, how after are you guys doing on that? Motor and trans I assume? I've got Fumotos on all my motors but none on transmissions, might have to do that on this one.

Their is NO plug on the TC, The first service you should drop the Pan Change filter inspect for cutch dust, the dust will cover everything, if its thicker than dust, change at 10K if still copious You should attempt to find out why, But in many cases you just can't without tear down of Trans. The life Blood of the trans is its fluid, service according to Analysis it will last 500K+ miles.

If Just lightly dusted just do 20-25K miles drain and fill Analysis.

I don't comment on Vehicles serviced by Shops we do Business with, but I will shared observations , Some owners Never service trans and when it fails, the Fluid looks like roofing Tar.

Their is NO plug on the TC, The first service you should drop the Pan Change filter inspect for cutch dust, the dust will cover everything, if its thicker than dust, change at 10K if still copious You should attempt to find out why, But in many cases you just can't without tear down of Trans. The life Blood of the trans is its fluid, service according to Analysis it will last 500K+ miles.

If Just lightly dusted just do 20-25K miles drain and fill Analysis.

I don't comment on Vehicles serviced by Shops we do Business with, but I will shared observations , Some owners Never service trans and when it fails, the Fluid looks like roofing Tar.

Sorry for the bump but I just read every post. $.02.. I remember in 2007 the AISIN was touted as having very long service intervals. 140,000 miles? I’m probably wrong and have been told that before. But I’ll feel less crazy if anyone else remembers something of that effect. I’d never try it. I adjust the front band every oil change with my 47re. I also agree with the thought process that the more people option the AISIN, the more aftermarket goodies will come.

Back