View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #18
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9724VF350 View Post
No, though I'm kicking myself in the a$$ for not doing it. I sandblasted and rebuilt every piece of my chassis, now I have this fully rebuilt leaf sprung front end sitting under it and I wish I didn't. I added leaves to the rear springs. I screwed up and didn't do enough homework before I dove into it.
What would you estimate the cost of this coil front end conversion, upgraded rear setup? I feel like it might be better to convert a newer F250/F350 for the amount of work involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
y

The problem I have seen is that $5 part breaks when you are 200 plus miles from home. It is all of the plastic on the things anymore that at a certain age, just give up the ghost.
I guess that's possible, but if it's $5 and a common issue that could leave me stranded, I would spend $10 and put 2 in the tool box.

Not to sound like the illegitimate love child of Macgyver and Chuch Norris, but I've had axles come out from under a loaded gooseneck during a 2000 mile trip. I was 500 miles from home, in early February, and cobbled it together at a rest stop and made it home. Hell, during the trip to buy this Excursion I lost the brakes in the Dodge trying to stop in the hills of eastern Kentucky. I shrugged my shoulders, puckered my asshole, and drove the last 2 hours without 'em. I generally expect problems on trips, if somethng happens I try to improvise, adapt, and overcome. That being said, I'm not into challenges enough to buy a 6.0l one.
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser