View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #34
Fast12v

Name: Fast12v
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
Long before 625s came along, many of us got by without blowing gaskets regularly.

Double check your head and your block for flatness. If you can save the money for the 625s that’s great. But if you have to pick between o-rings and 625s, I’d take o-rings and 425s over 625s ans no rings. Obviously depending on the budget and timeframe.

Work on checking drive pressure and verify your timing.

All that being said, 70psi on a studded, non mls gasket, non o-ringed Head, sounds like a lit fuse to me. I wouldn’t plan on it living a long life. Maybe if it were a high winding setup. But with the pressures your setup can generate at low lower RPMs, I would almost expect head gasket issues.

I’m not knocking on you. I’m just calling it as I see it.

If Ponci is at all possible for you to get your head to, get it to him. He’s a good guy. Part of the old school performance diesel world and he will steer you in the right direction without bending you over a barrel.
Yes I completely agree 70 was too much. When that head gasket blew it was on the first day that I was testing out the entire build I just did. Once I saw the 70psi I thought “wow that’s a little too much I need to lower that”. When I got back to my house it was already too late. As far as the 625s I have the money to buy them it’s just I really don’t want to have to buy them. If you think 425 and orings will be good I will run with that. As far as drive pressure goes. I will setup a gauge and see how close it is to that 1:1 ratio that I want it at. If it’s too high what are some ways you can lower drive pressure?