NEW "reman" INDUSTRIAL INJECTION VP44 won't start

Have cranked and cranked and cranked the thing. Still nothing more than the fuel just dribbling out the injector lines. I think it's actually getting worse the longer we try it. I think when I first put the pump on it sprayed more fuel than it does now

May have missed it, but have you tried cracking injection lines to see if the pump is pushing any fuel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I know this sounds crazy had one once that had same thing found a blown power door lock fuse replaced and fired up. Maybe a stretch since you say have power on all pins where supposed to at injection pump

I know this sounds crazy had one once that had same thing found a blown power door lock fuse replaced and fired up. Maybe a stretch since you say have power on all pins where supposed to at injection pump

Checked it and it's good, going to have to call industrial injection tomorrow.

odd that its mechanically bad? rarely see that...im sure they benched it. is fuel pissing out the banjo bolt? pinch the return line with a pair of line pliers

Okay it is not the pump! I must have a wiring issue somewhere. I unplugged the pump and hot wired the pump like bluechipdiesel says on their website and it fired right up. Now finding the problem will be a nightmare...

Likely never needed a pump before lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah how about it!! The guy that I bought it from was a maniac and tried getting it running before he gave up. So I'm wondering if he didn't butcher something when he was working on it. I'm just gonna tell myself it needed the new pump so I don't feel bad :rolleyes:

Thats why I always start with: was the part bad to begin with and why?

Glad you narrowed down the issue OP!

2nd gen trucks with VP44 are know to have ECMs go bad. I have replaced more than a few. If all your wiring checks out then the ECM would be a strong possibility. Check for the flashing "wait to start" on the dash making sure someone did not pull the bulb in the dash or that it is bad. Or see if you can send the ECM out to someone.

Last edited:
Okay it is not the pump! I must have a wiring issue somewhere. I unplugged the pump and hot wired the pump like bluechipdiesel says on their website and it fired right up. Now finding the problem will be a nightmare...

Nice. Glad you got passed the pump question.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but could you just hook up a relay off your ignition and leave it hotwired?

Note: I know next to nothing about VP's!

I don't even know how to begin checking all the wiring but I checked the plug to the pump and it has power when it needs it and ground. I checked the blue with red tracer wire which is the one that shuts the pump off and it is workong properly. Only has power when you turn the key off. So I'm not sure what is telling it to not start. I ran the jumper wires to the same posts on the pump that have power and ground in the plug and it runs. But plug it back in and it doesn't start. So I'm a little lost at the moment. It seems to be a good connection in the plug when you plug it in.

Back