Driveshafts

jhastings

Took my front and rear driveshafts in to have new u-joints pressed in since I don't have access to a press. Shop says both shafts are shot. Mostly due to rust in slip joints. What are my options? Recommendations?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's what I found odd. Boots were good and not torn either. 98 QC LB 4WD nv4500 in Portland OR

Post up a picture. Wonder if they just (a) didn't want to do them or (b) were trying to get you to buy a new shaft from them....

If you have an assortment of sockets and a hammer, you can do your own ujoints at home.

Most of the shafts I've had apart have a blue plastic cover over the male slip joint. Also u can still buy the slip joins from spicer. If u want to rebuild the shafts.

FWIW, I got a rebuilt front driveshaft from Rock auto for like $250. Slip joint froze on me, and centering ball on the double cardian was shot....to fix it all would have been more than that.

I would take a closer look at the rear shaft.

Front slip is frozen. Maybe I can heat it up and shock cool with water to unfreeze it? Plastic on rear driveshaft is all chewed up. Is that replaceable?

Getting this thing back together and trans/transfer case are in. Any recommendations for rear driveshaft? One piece? I don't have a lift and just daily drive/tow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any issues with the aluminum shafts getting dented by rocks? Local driveline shop recommended against it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back