Trans issues no 3rd gear

Gasoline Sucks

slow 12v
I just put my trans back together and it shifted to 3rd a few times while cold but as soon as it warmed up it would just stay in 2nd. I had the trans air checked while it was out and it passed. I had the valve body (ats race) rebuilt professionally and it did not fix the problem.

Disconnect all electric to VB and it stays in 1st (should go into limp and shift 1-3) So its not an electrical issue.

Line pressure is 85 at idle and 150+ by 3/4 throttle (gauge only reads 150).
Governor pressure never goes over 15psi. I replaced gov pressure solenoid and sensor with new borg warner but still rises from 0-15 1mph/psi but just stops at 15psi no matter how fast you go.

It also slips in 2nd over 15psi boost. 1st is rock solid.

I have been torturing Will Bigblue and he has been nothing but helpful just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I plan on checking the tubes in the OD unit to see if i pinched one somehow allowing gov pressure to bleed off but i have not had time to check them.

Any info is appreciated.

You have a gov sensor and solenoid on the VB, AND tubes in the overdrive unit? Is this a 47RE or RH? You should have one or the other?

I just put my trans back together and it shifted to 3rd a few times while cold but as soon as it warmed up it would just stay in 2nd. I had the trans air checked while it was out and it passed. I had the valve body (ats race) rebuilt professionally and it did not fix the problem.

Disconnect all electric to VB and it stays in 1st (should go into limp and shift 1-3) So its not an electrical issue.

Line pressure is 85 at idle and 150+ by 3/4 throttle (gauge only reads 150).
Governor pressure never goes over 15psi. I replaced gov pressure solenoid and sensor with new borg warner but still rises from 0-15 1mph/psi but just stops at 15psi no matter how fast you go.

It also slips in 2nd over 15psi boost. 1st is rock solid.

I have been torturing Will Bigblue and he has been nothing but helpful just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I plan on checking the tubes in the OD unit to see if i pinched one somehow allowing gov pressure to bleed off but i have not had time to check them.

Any info is appreciated.
You are checking gov pressure with a scan tool or mechanical gauge?
My 96/47re refuses to upshift if it has no electrical power. 1-2 and hangs.
I'm curious about yours and the thought that it should go 1-3 with no electricity.

I'm watching it on a mechanical gauge that I have my passenger mirror closed on.

That's what it always did when it was in limp when gov solenoid should go wide open and skip 2 go to 3. So I figured if it's unplugged it would repeat that. I will take it to a shop and have the computer put on it.

To test, unplug the 8 pin harness going to the transmission. Start in Neutral, drop directly to 1st and manually shift 1st/2nd/3rd. If it shifts to 3rd manually, its an electronic failure, repair as needed. If it still doesn't shift you may have something like a 47rh Overdrive piston support in the trans that is dumping all your govenor pressure into the OD section and it can never build enough pressure to hit the switch valve.

Lavon

I have tried that. It will never go to third. It will slip out of second if I go over 10-15 psi boost then it acts like its in neutral till I shift to manual low rev to 2500+ and manually shift to second.

I'm going to pull the od unit next week.

Fwiw this is identical to what mine has been doing. I found bare wires at the trans.
It will shift 1-2 and depending on how it feels, it will wind out or free wheel in 2nd. The only difference was that I could watch the voltage on my dash and the trans would slam into 3rd as soon as B+ increased.

RACE VB???????
Maybe it is set up to only shift at full RPM????

Any chance you have ever gotten it to 4th?

Back