RPM and Dodge transmission longevity

dpaqu

I have a p-pump converted 93 D250. I have a 46rh with low-flash Goerend converter and a 47re intermediate shaft and planetary. If I can figure out how to get it to shift around 3800+rpm (or put a manual valvebody in it) will that help it live longer? I'm hoping the non lockup trans should also help prolong the life of the input/output shafts.

In general, making horsepower at higher RPM means you're producing less torque, which means you're putting less of a load on drivetrain components. 600 HP at 3600 RPM is easier on drivetrains than 600 HP at 2400 RPM. But any engine making useable power up to 3800 RPM is going to be producing torque at break-parts levels anyways. You can only do so much with the power bands on these pigs. If a part breaks you'd expect it to be around peak torque RPM, and that'll be down low even if peak horsepower is above 3000 RPM.

Manual valve bodies are great in general. Non-lockup transmission means you will never break any parts associated with the lock-up feature.

You're dealing with a lot of torque, even mitigating that as much as possible still leaves you with a lot of torque. I'd like to hear what people say though, what the most tranny-friendly power-band is on a 5.9.

Last edited:
The most tranny friendly part is the driver.... and knowing when to, and when not to hammer it....after that, is a well built transmission, and cool ATF temps.

I'm hoping the non lockup trans should also help prolong the life of the input/output shafts.

:hehe:

Stock/OEM input-shaft:

826d128b.jpg

f00d8bcb.jpg

Stock/OEM intermediate-shaft:

BrokeShaft.jpg

Stock/OEM output-shaft:

0a9aa8df.jpg

72984008.jpg

Dinky 12mm VE, 25psi boosted launches with a Suncoast custom non-lockup converter @ 6400lbs.

I thought running a non-lockup would help not break stuff. Hah! :bang

:hehe:

Stock/OEM input-shaft:

826d128b.jpg

f00d8bcb.jpg

Stock/OEM intermediate-shaft:

BrokeShaft.jpg

Stock/OEM output-shaft:

0a9aa8df.jpg

72984008.jpg

Dinky 12mm VE, 25psi boosted launches with a Suncoast custom non-lockup converter @ 6400lbs.

I thought running a non-lockup would help not break stuff. Hah! :bang

I used your writeup to do my trans. I don't have 4wd but I think it will still destroy itself on slicks now that it has a ppump. BTW the VE fueled pretty hard down low. I'm going to miss it's fuel economy and easy starting.

Last edited:
Back