View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
slowburner

Name: slowburner
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Standard shift is hard to find. I have a 4-speed sitting in a 240D right now that i'll cannibalize shortly. 4 speed was never offered in a 300D. 5 speed was never offered at all in a diesel, so they're crazy expensive and rare.

I have a 6 speed MB transmission on a pallet, but it's not from an old school diesel, but a new import version. It may be worth a mate adapter fab.

All my engines are approaching being worn out. Need to accomplish some major engine stand heroics on them. I'm told a hone-and-ring job is asking for trouble, but i'm also told that it's seldom the pistons and rings in the first place. I'ma gonna find out if a OM617 can be "refurbished".

Throw new bearings and such in the lower end. Do whatever must be done to the head, if anything. Try to get more than 150hp out of it... somehow. There's lots of "how-to" articles out there, but it doesn't seem like there's many "success stories" of dramatic increases.

If I can do that, it would open up a lotta possibilties for my fleet of toys. Nothing spectacular, but at least maybe more fun.