VP44 Standalone ECU Project

Well I successfully made the engine runaway twice yesterday. Scared the hell outta me the first time, I tried cutting back fuel but it just kept climbing so I started yanking wires until it died. After my heart rate settled and I stopped laughing I pulled more fuel out and went for another go, this time with a hand on the power wire. Same result but I caught it much earlier and more importantly I was able to understand why. Need to change my software strategy, was trying to inject based on duration but being a rotary pump injection duration naturally needs to decrease as revs increase to maintain a steady speed. I need to start injecting based on pump angle.

Got a small hardware change to make too, the solenoid isn't closing as fast as I would like. After looking as the solenoid current on the PSG5 it's really impressive how clean the edges are on that signal, almost like Bosch knew what they were doing when they built that circuit.

Still a ways to go but that was a big step in the right direction, I'll keep you guys in the loop as things progress.

. After my heart rate settled and I stopped laughing I pulled more fuel out and went for another go, this time with a hand on the power wire.

This brought a smile this morning. Nothing like the feeling like you survived a near death experience, even if it was still moderately safe.

What IDE are you using for your software?

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

This brought a smile this morning. Nothing like the feeling like you survived a near death experience, even if it was still moderately safe.

What IDE are you using for your software?

I've been using the Arduino IDE but I need to look into trying something different, compiling time is ridiculous on the first run of the day.

Saw the video yesterday. Pretty cool that your making progress

I should've gotten some more yesterday, made a small code change and was able to get the engine to maintain a steady speed. My optical tach wasn't working but it sounded like it was around 2000 rpm. Still have to redo the whole code but it was a good proof of concept.

I've been using the Arduino IDE but I need to look into trying something different, compiling time is ridiculous on the first run of the day.

I should've gotten some more yesterday, made a small code change and was able to get the engine to maintain a steady speed. My optical tach wasn't working but it sounded like it was around 2000 rpm. Still have to redo the whole code but it was a good proof of concept.

this is exciting!

Nothing big. I wasn't happy with how long the solenoid was taking to close so I'm making some hardware changes to try cleaning up those edges a little bit. I'll have to completely change how I'm driving the solenoid but I think it'll be better in the long run. The other hold-up is software, I need to make some big changes to the code, just haven't sat down long enough to make any progress.

I think this is cool project but can,t a touch do basically what your after...

The PSG on the pump will always be a limitation with any of the available VP44 tuners. Redline boxes kinda work around that limitation but I want more fine tuning.

Been busy with the H pump project, made a little headway on some circuit changes but I still need to test them. It's starting to get colder out so I'll be able to spend some more time figuring out the software.

I Zach, any news on this? I would so like to see this happen

No big updates unfortunately. I have the hardware changes made but something isn’t working properly so I need to debug and test it. Also got a program flow written out that pretty well covers what needs to happen but writing that into an actual program is kind of difficult.

Back