aluminum Car hauler

not enoughsmoke

floatin in tha gulf
o my Dad bought this 48' Raven Semi trailer in 2003-04 when scrap and aluminum prices were up. lucky for us we had a friend that owned a scrap yard and bought this before it was cut up. The trailer was completely stripped down of all steels and sold as clean aluminum. So Dad Rigged up a hay wagon to it and drug it home. It has been sitting till time to start this project. He wants a 30' dual tandem Goose-neck trailer. and told me i can have whats left so 18ft car-hauler it is.
20171104_152426_zpsutnmlvkg.jpg

20171104_154516_zpskdccwixe.jpg

20171104_152503_zps2alxfefn.jpg

20171104_162056_zpsstyq0be0.jpg

20171104_162043_zpsk9hsdaf0.jpg

20171104_162108_zpst6dkmqzb.jpg

20171104_162130_zpswiaxjxlr.jpg

20171104_162136_zpsucxsd9qi.jpg

VZM.IMG_20171222_143921_zpsxvjkcyfd.jpg

20171222_175354_zpshkc7svc0.jpg

20171222_175401_zpsjg2mtxmg.jpg

How do you plan on attaching the c-channel to the aluminum frame?

Very cool project and use of scrap trailer bed.

Also, I would use a rubber coating or something between the steel and aluminum. If not you will have all sorts corrosion issues.

Is that half of an I beam going to be alright?

I would say it depends on what he's hauling....Semi trailers are usually built for a maximum weight per foot, say 10K lbs in 10' up to 16K lbs in 8' is what I've seen.

Depending on the load, and the spread, I can see it being just fine. However, what I would be skeptical of is the placement of the axles under the "cross members." those are much lighter than a normal place to attach axles.

Again, all depends on how heavy he wants to use it...it wouldn't work for me I can assure you. I'm like the postal service, if it fits it ships....but there ain't no low flat rate...

Either way, cool project.
Chris

Again, all depends on how heavy he wants to use it...it wouldn't work for me I can assure you. I'm like the postal service, if it fits it ships....but there ain't no low flat rate...

I snickered at this comment and kinda nodded my head like 'Yup, kinda sounds like my train of thought as well.' More so as, the trailer spec is just a suggestion...something meant to be "tested" on the daily.'

None the less, awesome build on the trailer, following this for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah, we test our stuff.

Not to high jack, but here's what we do in my shop when a customer wants a trailer for his manure pump...

picture.php

And the pump we're building too...

picture.php

Again, don't mean to high jack....just two examples of building from the crap pile. I bought the axle/springs, jack, and the trailer coupler...the rest came from the steel pile.

Chris

How do you plan on attaching the c-channel to the aluminum frame?

Very cool project and use of scrap trailer bed.
i am going to have c channel braces welded and bolted to each channel
it can only be bolted..no other way
bolted or riveted. I only have 1 tho
Here for pictures. That's bad ass.
thanks
need to grind that rust off before ya weld it son....that inclusion will make it ugly...
I will its getting mocked up more than anything right now

Also, I would use a rubber coating or something between the steel and aluminum. If not you will have all sorts corrosion issues.
i am plannign on a polymyer between the aluminum and steel

duct tape works as well for an isolator
yes i have read that but i wanna go a lil better than that
Is that half of an I beam going to be alright?
I will making it back into a I beam again but first have to get clearance for the axles.
im curious how you cut that
Metal Circular saw simialr to this but mine came from TSC
OnlineToolReviews.com - Ozito Metal Cutting Circular Saw - Detailed Review
Reciprocating saw works well.
it does where the circular saw cant get to and a wood blade

I would say it depends on what he's hauling....Semi trailers are usually built for a maximum weight per foot, say 10K lbs in 10' up to 16K lbs in 8' is what I've seen.

Depending on the load, and the spread, I can see it being just fine. However, what I would be skeptical of is the placement of the axles under the "cross members." those are much lighter than a normal place to attach axles.

Either way, cool project.
Chris
i will definitely be adding more strength to it as i am really building this to haul my zero turn lawn mower it has a 72" deck on it and only fits on my goose-neck trailer.And by the way my mom is a postal carrier so i get the motto:lolly:

I snickered at this comment and kinda nodded my head like 'Yup, kinda sounds like my train of thought as well.' More so as, the trailer spec is just a suggestion...something meant to be "tested" on the daily.'

None the less, awesome build on the trailer, following this for sure.
thanks
Yeah, we test our stuff.

Again, don't mean to high jack....just two examples of building from the crap pile. I bought the axle/springs, jack, and the trailer coupler...the rest came from the steel pile.

Chris
stay tunes it will get better wait till you see the 1/2" aluminum fenders :lolly:

It will be 102" wide with drive over fenders made from 1/2" aluminum plate the tires are 235/75/16 on ford aluminum Alcoa wheels
i had to cut the side of the frame and the beams to get the trailer as low as possible i am planning on going back and finishing out the bottom of the beam once i get the axles placed and setup i plan on trying to close up most of the holes where the channels are however the hole where the c channel is going thru the beams they are 1 piece the places that they are not are 3 separate pieces if you click on this link this trailer that Gas monkey garage has in very similar to what i am building but also i am coping my Goose-neck that i currently have
20141011_1735321_zpse98899e3.jpg

20141121_0702311_zps3bb0e7e9.jpg

100MEDIA36IMAG0714-1_zps4603baa5.jpg

https://www.pjtrailers.com/uses/gas-monkey-garage-trailer/

Back